We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Bart's Overnight

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
St. Bart's Overnight

Hello All,

Staying overnight at St. Bart's in May at the Normandie Hotel. Any suggestions on Dinner and After Dinner Places? Also, What things are a must see/do within the 48 hours.

Thanks,

Nikki

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Bart's Overnight

Hi nychee,

You will need to rent a car if staying at La Normandie unless you only go to Lorient beach and eat at JoJo burger (not advised.)

I would suggest you do at least 2 different beaches, one developed and one undeveloped. Choices for the first, with services, would be St Jean or Flamands. On St Jean you could dine at Eden Rock (expensive), La Plage or Nikki Beach. On Flamands, dine at the Isle de France hotel and use their loungers and pool afterwards. For natural beaches, chose to drive to either Gouverneur or Saline. Or walk to Lorient, a very underrated beach very near your hotel.

Its hard to recommend restaurants w/o knowing your budget. You can eat reasonably on SBH or drop some serious coin. What are you looking for?

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Bart's Overnight

Thank you for your great suggestions! We are hoping to dine at places moderately priced but are not afraid to spend on a good meal since it is St. Bart's after all. We are open to any type especially French or authentic cuisine of the island.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Bart's Overnight

OK, besides the places I mentioned for lunch, you may want to try Le Select for the famous "cheeseburger in paradise." Its right on a corner in Gustavia and a good place to people watch. There are nice places for lunch near both of the undeveloped beaches I mentioned above. Santa Fe is at the turn to Gouverneur, with amazing views. Its one of the up-and-coming new restaurants. Near the car park for Saline there are two good places, Grain de Sel and Esprit de Saline.

For dinner I would go to Gustavia. First, sunset cocktails at La Mandela or the Carl Gustaf Hotel (newly remodeled.) For dinner, Wall House (French), The Palace (French/Creole) or Eddy's (French/Creole w/an Asian twist.) If you head to town early enough, the shops will still be open. After dinner, stroll around checking out the yachts in the harbor and have a drink at Baz Bar. Sometimes they have live music.

At the airport there are tons of tourist magazines. Look for Tables, which will have many restaurant menus.

dallas
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Bart's Overnight

take the short hike to columbier beach! it was fantastic...remote, gorgeous and great, peaceful snorkeling. we are staying at the normandie in may, also, instead of a villa this year. we can hardly wait to get back to st. barths!

Atlanta,GA
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Bart's Overnight

So you are there just one night? If you are looking for authentic French Cusine I'd stay away from LeSelect...packed with Americans off cruise ships. I'd walk across the harbor the Wall House or perhaps cab/drive over to Kifi Massai in Lorient...you may be able to walk from Normandie but parts are a dark road without a sidewalk.

This newly remodeled hotel seems great for a night or two but those rooms would seem to close in after a while along with the fact there is no view from the property since it's about a 1/2 mile back from the ocean.

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Bart's Overnight

Also recommend K' fe Massai in Lorient. They have several prixe fixe menus, and the 29 euro offering is excellent, as are the blackboard specials.

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Bart's Overnight

Also, have to disagree with Normandie being 1/2 mile from the beach. It's a two-three minute walk. I say more like a quarter mile. Easy.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
623 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Bart's Overnight

I would certainly go into Gustavia if I have just one night. Eddy's or Wall House would be my dinner pick but certainly go for a glass at either Mandala or Carl Gustav. After dinner go to Strand and if want a late night-on to Casa Nikki Night Club. No taxis after 6pm unless arranged for in advance. I would book a rental car! Have fun and next time-go for longer, and yes, there will be again!

9. Re: St. Bart's Overnight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 09:27