We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why St. Barts?

san francisco
Level Contributor
98 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Why St. Barts?

Hi all -

I am trying to decide where to turn 40, and someone just suggested St. Barts. I am going to get some books but thought I would just throw it out there, why do those who have experienced it like/love St. Barts?

Btw, we are looking to chill on the beach, snorkel, maybe a little shopping, great food, long walks, etc. Any thoughts are most appreciated.

thanks!

san francisco
Level Contributor
98 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why St. Barts?

And we are wanting to go during the first 2 weeks of january...:)

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why St. Barts?

Well, curgie, I can tell you St. Barths would be the perfect place for a 40th birthday party! What does St. barths have to offer? Over ten beautiful and quiet beaches, deep blue clean water, some of the most exclusive shopping anywhere, incredible resorts, an overwhelming choice of villas, over 80 restaurants on 8 square miles, French wine, pastry, food, incredible hospitality, a vibrant, cool, youthful ambiance (and you don't have to be 20 to enjoy that!), romance (it's French, right?), and gorgeous, kind, friendly people who really want to accomodate your every whim.

What you won't find? Crime, beggars, hair braiders, stray animals, aggressive shopkeepers, scammers, beach vendors, airplane banners, jaegerbombs, chains, holiday inns, marriots, kiddie slides, water parks, movie theatres, malls, spring breakers, planes after dark, lights on the streets (ecept maybe a few in Gustavia).

The first two weeks in january is high season, and I highly recommend you book soon, very soon!

Happy birthday and good travels! Binti

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
74 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why St. Barts?

Because there's no place better to celebrate your birthday! I just got back last week from spending a week celebrating my husband's birthday. 4th trip in 5 years. A big warning: You will be back. We do two trips a year. I pick somewhere in Europe and he picks St. Barts everytime....and I never complain. Dito what Binti said. I suggest you rent a villa and follow the recommendations here for restaurants. We rent a boat every trip too to explore the islands and do some great snorkeling. I promise it will be a place you won't forget. It will more than meet your requirements. We have been all over the Caribbean and there's nothing even close to St. Barts.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
623 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why St. Barts?

Because you can relax-I am mean really relax and be spoiled! No one sells you trinkets on the beach and your taste buds will just melt with every bite from casual to high dining. The island isn't overrun with Spring Break type activities or people.

I also rcommend a villa if you are staying for 2 weeks-you get a kitchen and extra space.

Meals: Le Ti, Eddy's, Wall House, and Kfe Massai are some of my favorites for dinner. I would certainly do a lazy/boozy lunch at Nikki Beach and be prepared to drink lots of rose wine!!!

Enjoy Enjoy!!!

Miami Florida
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Why St. Barts?

I wanted to reply but the previous posts tell it all. It is by far the best island I have ever visited. If your budget is tight go in the off-season. If you have to go during the season the Turks and Anguilla are suitable replacements but find the time to visit St. Barts sooner or later and you too will be hooked. If the economy hadn't tanked I'd be there myself.

6. Re: Why St. Barts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2010, 05:16