We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm Excited, Too

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
I'm Excited, Too

After reading of few of these topics, I couldn't help but add my own excitement to the mix.

I'm a SBH newbie and will be travleing to celebrate my 30th birthday in December. After much toil and a frustrating process of elimination, we'll be staying at SIB SAS in St. Jean. Couldn't ignore that this villa 'spoke' to me...if any of you can understand that! :)

So...to all you SBH experts out there (Binti, are you reading?) ... I'd like to get your opinions on a few things, maybe say 'yay' or 'nay' to my tentative plans.

We intend to spend reasonable time at our villa, but plan on enjoying the restaurants. We're considering all the staples like Wall House, Eddy's, Andy's Hideaway, late dinner at Le Ti, lunch at La Plage, Nikki Beach, Eden Rock...maybe lunch at Le Sereno after water sports at Grand-Cul-de Sac. Are there wave runner rentals available?

How bout the beaches? St. Jean for sure, thinking about doing a picnic lunch at Saline, maybe a morning hike to Colombier with lunch at Isle de France. How bout Shell Beach? Is it worth it? Would love to maybe meet Yannick Noah at Do Brazil.

Big tennis fan here...and would love to play while there. I only know of tennis at the Guanahani. Any other facilities?

And does anyone know about the Form Fitness workout center? Any other places to work off the calories or will this place do the trick?? Do they allow guests?

Looking forward to morning croissants!! And those all-day buzzes off wine and champagne!!

Let me know if I've missed something or if maybe our restaurant options are too similar and we might want to diversify? We are open to all kinds of food. Not picky eaters here!

Thanks for your insight!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
623 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm Excited, Too

There is a pretty spectacular trail on the Colombier trek (about 20-30 minutes-challenging but almost anyone can do it). Take the Flamands Road until it dead ends and find the goat path. You have to bring EVERYTHING you might need-water, towel etc. The only way to get to this beach is by foot or boat-pretty amazing views along the way.

Go to Gouveneur and Saline beaches-people debate which is more beautiful. I prefer Gouveneur.

Definitely drive around the island at least once. It is small and you could get to know the various areas quickly! Toiny is where the Ocean and Sea meet-DON'T swim here-just stare and be amazed at what the locals call 'the washing machine'.

Check out the natural pools at Grand Fond-legend says there is buried pirate treasure here!

Yellow Submarine Semi-submersible craft remains on the surface providing views of fish through large viewing ports while you remain dry! contact@yellow-submarine.fr

Forma Form has a great new facility in Lurin just outside Gustavia that you can get day/weekly passes and it is open to the public.

Isola (new Italiain) in Gustavia is getting a very serious A+ rating. Maya's is also a most! Sante Fe was featured on the Food Network awhile back.

There are public tennis courts in Flamboyant/Marigot.

I would certainly plan on a few booooooozy lunches at Nikki Beach, La Plage, and the Ilse de France.

Enjoy!!!

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm Excited, Too

Hey, roleray, thanks for the nice shout out! I was having a little fun with miamisgirl on that other thread...I know lots of travelers generally come to this site to get a "feel" for St. Barths, the accomodations, flights, etc, and are persuaded or dissuaded, and will move on for more information. But we are thrilled you come totally prepared...and PSYCHED! You will find lots of great advice and opinions here, too. I've come to find no one can truly be "expert" when it comes to St. Barth. Hurricanes, economy, families retuning to France, it all adds up to innevitable change and a feeling of "newness" whenever you return. And you will. But the thing that remains the same is the great vibe, the romance, the excitement, the ambiance, the people that make up this special little place.

I love your itinerary and ideas. And Akbyrd is spot-on with suggestions. I love the idea of lunch on Saline, I've dreamt it and planned it many times but have never executed it! It's somewhat of a walk from the parking lot to the beach, and usually just the two of us travel. So hoisting provisions through sand and a rocky path has always detered me. And there are several excellent restaurants for lunch in Saline. Maybe this year, we will be four and that will be do-able!

I think your restaurant choices are excellent, among my faves, i would add a couple to your list for consideration. Pipiri palace is excellent, as is Eddys'. Both are in Gustavia. eddys does not take reservations, so it's good for an "off" night and go early. A couple of new restos are getting big hype, one is Harbor Saladrie, located on the harbor in Gustavia. I have not been there, but if it is anything like it's former self, it's casual, and very good. I would also recommend Ti Zouk in Gustavia for the best mojitos on the island. Le Serano is a great choice, and their drink menu is amazing, even if you don't eat there. Rentals there should be no problem.

I'm sure you will love your villa. People obsess over villa choices. Like you, I let them speak to me. St. Jean is a great location for first timers. Smack-dab in the middle of things. You will love it.

Happy Birthday to you, you lucky dog! I look forward to your rational exuberance over the next 4 1/2 months or so!

Binti

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm Excited, Too

Thank you, Ackbyrd and Binti for your thoughts and recommendations. I want to experience most of SBH's trademark restaurants but am DEF open to new hot spots. I will continue to do my homework.

Haha, it's all so perfect in my head right now... like lunch on Saline Beach...we'll see if logistics or longer-than-expected walks get in the way of our plans. I'm sure it will all turn out great.

Thanks again - and keep the info coming, please!

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm Excited, Too

Binti,

You mentioned several good restaurants in Saline...which are you thinking of?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
623 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm Excited, Too

Pancri

L'Espirit

Tamarind

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm Excited, Too

Le Grain de Sel is located right next to the parking lot to the beach on Saline and is very good...potty available for customers, and Le Tamarind as Ackbyrd mentioned is highly recommended!

Binti

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
623 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm Excited, Too

Sol is great for a burger for lunch, but so elegant and romantic for dinner-crazy the same place is sooooooooo different!

8. Re: I'm Excited, Too

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about St. Barthelemy
Recent Conversations