We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What could top St. Barth?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What could top St. Barth?

OMG I just came back from a heavenly trip from St. Barth! What could possibly be more fabulous a place than that? Hawaii is no comparison. Neither are any other islands in the Caribbean that I know of.

For those who have been to St. Barth... were could you go from here? Amalfi Coast? Thailand? Maldives? Where else have you been that has been just as fabulous??

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What could top St. Barth?

Ha! Many of us just keep going back year after year....

In all honestly, I doubt you will find a Caribbean island to match St Barth. I have heard good things about Anguilla, especially the beaches, and would like to try St John as well. But with the combination of chic shopping, amazing restaurants, French vibe and natural beauty, St Barth cannot be beat.

We are traveling to Paris in a few weeks, then spending the last 4 days on the Cote d'Azur (staying in Cannes.) I am anxious to see how that compares.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What could top St. Barth?

That is a GREAT question. It's so funny because I often compare levels of greatness to St. Barts. The places which I love on the same level as St. Barts are:

- Harbour Island in the Bahamas (it's extremely cute, like a mini St. Barts)

- Amalfi Coast, in particular Positano

- Capri

- South of France, in particular Villefranche, St. Tropez, St. Jean Cap Ferrat, St. Paul de Vence

- Greek Islands, in particular, Mykonos and Santorini

- Italian Riviera, in particular Positano

- Bora Bora

- St. John of USVI, not as good as St. Barts but still quite nice

Places I want to go to which I think will be fantastic like St. Barts:

- Sardinia

- Ibiza (no it's not just a party island now - it's getting a sophisticated side to it)

- Mallorca, in particular Deia and Porto Andratx

- Provence, in particular Gordes

- Corsica

- Anguilla

Hope this helps!

Vickie

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What could top St. Barth?

I forgot a really good one:

Croatia - in particular, Hvar Island. It's supposed to be very beautiful and very chic!

New York City
Level Contributor
302 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What could top St. Barth?

funny, i was thinking the same. St Barth is hard to beat - especially on this side of the planet

dallas
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What could top St. Barth?

we just got back at the end of may from our 4th trip to st. barths. we love it so much that we are thinking of going back again next year for our 20th anniversary instead of going somewhere like bora bora where we've never been and have always wanted to. it is just the best place. we have so many great memories from there and it will always be very special to us! i will say that st. john is awesome as far as snorkeling and the bvi is great, too. virgin gorda and jost van dyke are special and beautiful, too.

Severn
Level Contributor
71 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What could top St. Barth?

Good Lord!!! I will definitely have to pick your brain (Vickie from Toronto,) for vacation info in the future!! Many on your list are on my wish list, but the travel time discourages me.

Edited: 18 June 2010, 17:35
New York
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What could top St. Barth?

Anguilla has better beaches and not on the Euro. Capri is spectacular, but further away. I've never been to Sardinia, but would love to go.

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
390 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What could top St. Barth?

Kauai is the place i compare every where to. I cant think of anywhere that ever comes close but i havent been to St Barths yet but im thinking about going in October. Is there any surfing there?

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What could top St. Barth?

I've been Kauai and for me it's not even close to comparing to St. Barts. I love Hawaii but it's definitely got that U.S. commercial feel to it but with a little Polynesian thrown in. St. Barts is truly unique. It's French European chic with a little Caribbean vibe thrown in. Magnifique!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What could top St. Barth?

I would agree that Hawaii is not a good comparison. We have been to St. Barth 4 times, and I would say the only place comparable that I have been is Sardinia (Costa Smeralda, private villa). We are headed to Santorini in a couple of months...will be interesting to compare, although we LOVE St. Barth, and definitely will go back, we are looking for a new adventure!

Get answers to your questions about St. Barthelemy
Recent Conversations