We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog Restrictions

Chicago...
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dog Restrictions

Does anybody know the details of restrictions for bringing dogs into St. Bart? I know they have a relatively open policy, but I am not clear on a few details. Some breeds are barred. What about Germ. Sheps? Also, has anybody made the trip with a large dog? I assume he would not be welcome on Winair. Are there alternatives?

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog Restrictions

DLewin, I would think the trip from SXM to SBH would be relatively easy, but you would have to go private charter plane or boat. You could check with the ferry and see what their policy is.

You see "foo foo" purse sized dogs all over, I recall spending the day at Le Plage and an Italian couple sunbathed with their dog all day.

I would be more concerned about the stress on the animal in the cargo hold on the trip into SXM.

Good Luck, Binti

Chicago...
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog Restrictions

Thanks Binti. When I was there last, I saw all sorts of small dogs. It seemed like my GSD, who loves Chicago beaches [not to mention outdoor dining during the summer] would have a great time. I am not sure the stress of the travel would be worth it though.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog Restrictions

Well, being an outdoor dining kind of guy and a beach bum, I can see why he would love St. Barth!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog Restrictions

We flew there twice with a small dog US Air-> WinAir with no problem (was not a charter). A German Shepherd? Dunno.

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dog Restrictions

Hey, DLewin

I was looking at St. Barth's Property website and ran into this pet info, and recalled your post.

Hope the big guy is keeping warm in the windy city!

ambafrance-us.org/intheus/customs/7000.asp

Binti

Chicago...
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dog Restrictions

Thanks for the info. I am still concerned about how the travel itself would impact him, but he would have a great time when he arrives.

Decisions, decisions. If only the airlines would allow him to travel in the main cabin, the problem would be solved.

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dog Restrictions

Sun glasses and a bandana?

And for goodness sakes, make sure you don't tell them he's German! He will get singled out for the "once over" line.

Oh, and remove all matches and lighters, and be prepared with clean, intact socks!

Binti

Chicago...
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dog Restrictions

He's actually very good out in public [we take him down Michigan Ave. in Chicago pretty often], other than the time that he bit the snowman in Bloomingdale's. But that guy had it coming. His hand looked tasty.

The dog would not have the problem on a flight since I have never seen anything edible on any flight.

I have the fear though that he would end up begging for foie gras at the Isle de France.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dog Restrictions

Humans dressed up as snowmen are creapy, good dog!

Yes, you might have trouble with goose, duck, quail, I think they do pigeon at Wall House. I'll bet he would be a hit at Le Select, cheeseburgers! drool...

And then there is that little French vixen over in that lady's purse...!

Mentioned in this post
Le Select
Le Select
302 Reviews
St. Barthelemy