We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

!st timer needs help!!

8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
!st timer needs help!!

We are wanting to go to St. Barts this summer with our our kids ages 22 and 25 for a few days. What I'm concerned about is the food. Are there places to eat that aren't 60-100 dollars per person. We can't spend that everyday. Do you think kids of that age would enjoy it? Also, any recommendations for a moderately priced hotel?

Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: !st timer needs help!!

Hi Suzanne,

Yes, there are plenty of food options that will come under your budget. Off the top of my head, you will be able to have great food at Andys, Bouchon, Bananiers, Wishing Well (cash only), Creperie and Le Select (cheeseburgers in Paradise!) This is just a start but please be sure to include at least one of the fabulous upscale places for which the island is famous.

Not knowing our kids I can't say for sure if they will enjoy it or not. Suffice it to say that the beautiful beaches, French vibe and numerous dining/drinking options should keep them entertained.

Given the size and age configuration of your group, I would recommend a villa versus a hotel. Not only will it give you more space for 4 adults, you will have a kitchen where you can prepare simple breakfasts and lunches with provision picked up from the local bakeries, markets and take-out places around the island. There are numerous threads in this forum with villa agency recommendations.

Best of luck in planning your trip!

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: !st timer needs help!!

Look for great villa rental and restaurant information on sbhonline.com

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
546 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: !st timer needs help!!

The Snack Bar at the Airport is also great value for lunches and drinks

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: !st timer needs help!!

Ti Zouk K'fè, a great place frequented by locals with great pizza. the rest of their menu is creole and french. inexpensive and sometimes they have live music. And i agree with Mamie, a villa is the best way to go. You will save so much on food by preparing some of it yourself. Going to the market in St. Barths is fun!

Buffalo NY
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: !st timer needs help!!

I agree, a villa would be better, if you haven't already considered it. We have rented through Wimco and they have a large selection and price range and are very helpful. I believe your children would love it. I was in my twenties when I went for the first time and now I'm 35. You will fall in love with the place.

We found that going out for lunch and cooking dinner at home saved a lot of money. Even frozen foods are great as the groceries are from France. And dinners at Wall House will never disappoint. Rotisserie is a great bakeryFrench /deli/eatery in St Jean that is great for prepared foods for dinner or lunch, bread, pastries. And wine is readily available and affordable.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
623 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: !st timer needs help!!

Andy's Hideaway in St. Jean-I usually get escargot and then a pizza.

Eddy's in Gustavia-Creole

Wall House in Gustavia-great prixe fix

Piment in St. Jean-love the frites!

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: !st timer needs help!!

i agree with ackbyrd, the hideway is affordable and great. La Gloriette is a great tipically restaurant on the grand cul de sac beach (about 40 dollars i think, a meat with a drink).

le bouchon for the roast chicken, and la cave de saint barthelemy à marigot for the wine

la petite colombe is a very good bakery with french bread, sandwiches, salads....

so enjoy!

8. Re: !st timer needs help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 04:18