We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Barts in October

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
26 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
St Barts in October

Hello:

I am planning to travel to St Barts in mid-October and I am starting to get a bit concerned about the weather conditions. However, I have traveled to places such as St Kitts/Nevis during what was considered "hurricane season" and the weather was perfect. Also, if you have been there during this time please advise on what shops, clubs, and restaurants are open. Thanks in advance for your help!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
623 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Barts in October

It is Hurricane season, but it seems to rarely be in the path, but no one can predict the weather!

Nigh Clubs: Yacht Club (Gustavia) and Casa Nikki (Gustavia), Le Ti St. Barth's (Pointe Milou)

Dinners: Maya's, Eddy's, Wall House, Strand, Andy's Hide Away, Le Ti St. Barth's, Harbour Saladiere

Lunch: Nikki Beach, La Plage

Shop: St. Barth's Stock Exchange

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Barts in October

The trouble with hurricane season is that the weather is usually great, unless there is a hurricane. And you can't predict when they will happen. St Barth is pretty quiet in October as for many locals, low season is a good time for them to travel and visit family.

There will be a number of closings, but you will not have a problem finding restaurants or shops open. There are too many to list but your hotel or villa agency can advise you.

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Barts in October

Saint Barth is very close to St Kitts. So it may be reasonable to expect comparable conditions overall.

Toronto
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Barts in October

We were in St Barts last year from Oct 4th to 11th - and unfortunately we were affected by the birth of Hurricane Otto. 4 straight days of rain - when all was said and done, 12 1/2 inches of rain fell in those 4 days! So suffice to say that you take a chance when traveling to St Barts during hurricane season - buti would say particularly Sept and Oct.

The other thing to keep in mind is that many places are closed. No Eden Rock, Nikki Beach, Isle de France, Carl Gustaf, Mayas, Sante Fe, Eddys, etc. Gustavia is a virtual ghost town with most of the shops shuttered tight.

So just be aware that it will be a very different experience in Sept-Oct than at any other time of the year. You'll find enough places open to make it through, but you'll pretty much have the island to yourselves.

Cheers!

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
10 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Barts in October

Hi there, just reading through this forum and concerned with our day trip/one-nighter in st. barths. We are currently staying in St. Maarten Oyster Pond and have visited Anguilla for the day - it was wonderful and beautiful but there was nothing open. I love slow season for having no crowds but what will it be like for us in St Barths do you think - we're thinking of staying at Normandie at Lorient Beach since it's such a good deal there and one of the few places open. Is it less safe with most of the island shut down?

My husband and I are beach/snorkel lovers and wont be doing any fine dining or major purchase shopping - some shops and restaurants will hopefully be open for us?

Toronto
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Barts in October

St Barts is a VERY safe island - off-season as well as in-season - so no worries there at all. And you won't go wrong with Normandie - Dennis and Wendy (the proprietors) have a very good reputation and their management staff is top-notch. We just happened to hit a streak of bad weather last year - but the week before we were there and the week after were spectacular. If you're beach lovers, then you'll be in the right place. Favorites are Saline and Gouverneur - but there are so many to see you won't be able to see them all in one day. One of our favourite restaurants, Wall House, just re-opened this week. And another island favourite, Andy's Hideaway is also open year-round. You'll find some shops open in both Gustavia and St Jean - it's mainly the high end shops that will still be closed this time of the year.

So don't miss St Barts!! You will find it a WORLD away from St Maarten.

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
10 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Barts in October

Thanks so much for your quick reply!!! I feel relieved reading that - we're definitely going - can't wait!!! thanks for the suggestions on beaches and restaurants too :)

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Barts in October

Among the least expensive restaurants, I believe Le Piment is open also.

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Barts in October

Starting October 8th, you will also enter the sales ("soldes") period in Saint Barth. There will be heavy discounts in most shops.

In French law, shop-owners are only allowed to reduce their price twice a year, during a period specified by the government. Any other time, sales are illegal and punished by heavy fines. This is the time of the year that they can get rid of unsold and often very nice merchandise.

So if you are a shopper, especially for clothing, it's a very good time to go.

Sales before October 8th are strictly forbidden and especially frowned upon by the law.

10. Re: St Barts in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 12:18