We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to St Barts, Need help with gorcery store items!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
1st time to St Barts, Need help with gorcery store items!!

My husband and I are going to St. Barts for the first time in April and I need help with food and alcohol. How expensive are the items? For example, how much is bread and milk? Also, we are drinkers......Is there American made beer available? Miller Lite or Bud Light? If so, how much are we looking to pay for a 12 pack of beer? Any response would be greatly appreciated!!

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to St Barts, Need help with gorcery store items!!

Basic food stuff at the supermarket will be more expensive than in the U.S. Perhaps 1.5x?

I really don't know about the price of beer. Cheap wine ,if it is an indicator, is a bit cheaper than in the US. Nice wine runs comparable in price.

I doubt you will be able to find US beers. Mostly carribean ones (red stripe, caribe) or perhaps French.

There is a store in Gustavia that specializes in US food products. But mostly it is fancy imports e.g. Sarabeth's jams from New York. I don't recall seeing beer but I may have overlooked it.

There is a famous watering hole in Gustavia called Le Select. They do sell cheap beers and cocktail, as well as their eponymous "cheeseburger in paradise" which inspired the Jimmy Buffett song.

Generally, Saint Barth is not known for low prices :-) Quite the opposite.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to St Barts, Need help with gorcery store items!!

There are a number of markets around the island, with the largest being Marche in St Jean across from the airport. I agree that in general you will pay about 1.5 times as much for items in St Barth than in the US. Fresh milk, however, will be VERY expensive and hard to find. The Caribbean relies more in irradiated milk. OJ is not cheap either. And if, by loaf of bread, you mean Wonder or Stroehmanns, FORGET about it! You can get amazing French breads in the bakeries and markets for about $2-3 US.

You will not find many US brands overall, its actually pretty funny when you see them (Pringles? Really?) We love trying the different French things and after many trips look forward to them. There maybe are more American items in the Libre market in Gustavia, probably due to yacht provisioning.

You can get some American beers at Marche but FYI Heineken is cheaper. Note that beer often comes in 7 or 10 oz bottles. We usually pick up a case of Heinies (24- 7oz bottles) for the villa but I don't remember the cost. If you like lite beers try Carib from Aruba.

As noted above, St Barth is not known for being cheap :-) However, there are ways to save money and still dine well.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to St Barts, Need help with gorcery store items!!

By the way, Le Select is not the inspiration for Buffett's Cheeseburger song. It was actually written about a place in the BVIs. Jimmy lets his longtime friend Marius, the owner, use the slogan in exchange for free food and drink for life! Le Select is also the name of a famous watering hole in Paris. It is a MUST DO for us every trip...usually a few times :-)

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to St Barts, Need help with gorcery store items!!

Nothing like perpetuating a legend :-) Sometimes truer than reality...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwL2Jv4fXq4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEo8iS_vLNU

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to St Barts, Need help with gorcery store items!!

Great videos....I so wanted to go to that but we were already booked for a few weeks later. By the way, Eddy did very well for himself starting out with a hamburger stand and now having one of our favorite restaurants on the island! I heard Marius was skeptical about the success of selling burgers at Le Select...but he let Eddy do it with Jimmy's blessing to use the song.

Here is a great article from American Way magazine where he describes writing the song. Seems there are many versions of the legend, in this one the island is PR:

americanwaymag.com/puerto-rico-village-cay-m…

Some other good SBH advice in there too.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
7 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time to St Barts, Need help with gorcery store items!!

Sin items, like alcohol and cigarettes are cheap in St. Barts, much more so than US and most parts of Europe...

Food is expensive, which is why everyone is so thin and sexy in St. Barts...!

Forget about buying chicken unless you want to pay 45-60 euro for a fresh one at the butcher...

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time to St Barts, Need help with gorcery store items!!

Why roast chicken when you can buy one already prepared!

I recommend Charley's Chicken, a cart located in the parking lot of the small grocery in St. Jean, across from the car park. Delicious!

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
512 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time to St Barts, Need help with gorcery store items!!

I'm not sure i would classify someone who drinks Miller or Bud Lite as a drinker !

Plenty of decent bottled beer available on the Island, my preference is Presidente. A few places have beer on tap. No longer Stella Artois though, they pulled out of the region and have been replaced by Bavaria ( despite the name its a Dutch brew )

9. Re: 1st time to St Barts, Need help with gorcery store items!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 19:18