We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Barth's/Anguilla Day Two

Glen Mills...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
3,709 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
St. Barth's/Anguilla Day Two

Day 2 (Or how to gain 10 pounds in 2 days.)

Waking up to an ocean view from our bed and a sunny day besides, we felt twice blessed. Breakfast in the Sand Bar restaurant was included in our room rate and here we found the most unique breakfast experience. Full gourmet breakfasts included homemade yoghurt's, both plain and soy, mangoes in vanilla sauce, homemade jams of which the peach was extraordinary, along with myriad french pastries and tarts, all displayed in unusual containers to delight the eye. Truly it was a pleasure and beat the typical hotel breakfast experience by miles. They switched it up from day to day and had us looking forward to it each morning.

Checking out our suite more closely we found Bulgari toiletries. My bathrobe was so thick I felt like a polar bear and complained to DH that it was almost too heavy. He laughed and pulled out of the closet a thinner model made of lightweight cotton. Two flat screens, one at the foot of our bed and another in the living area actually either popped up or disappeared into a console via remote control. Mr. daffy being a gadget guy enjoyed this greatly. The bathroom was AMAZING with a huge shower space and double heads that cut in half the time it took to get ready for dinner. But let me stop drooling over the room now.

A car was included in our package and we had a little Yaris to bop around in. We were told the roads are not for the faint of heart and they are not. In my mind I pictured the roads to be like St. John but I do believe they are even steeper with curvier switchbacks. But a small island as the crow flies, we really didn't spend too much time in the car and actually it was fun for us.

On this Sunday morning we headed out to Saline and Governeur's beaches which are undeveloped and while they were beautiful, I could not say they were beautiful by Anguilla standards. Don't hate me all you St. Barth lovers and I know you feel they are lovely in that they are undeveloped but so are many of Anguilla's beaches. I will admit to being a consummate beach snob and have a running top ten list of my favorite beaches. I'm afraid none of St. Barth's beaches made the list, with the possible exception of Shell Beach as it is so unique. The beaches at Saline and Governeurs felt crowded to us, possibly because of the weekend but we had only the weekend and nothing to compare it to and we spent little time at these two beaches. Not fair you say, as we didn't spend enough time? Maybe so, but all I can give is a first impression.

An aside: My top ten beaches this week

1. Shoal Bay East, Anguilla

2. Rendezvous Bay, Anguilla

3. Meads Bay, Anguilla

4. Pomato Point, Anegada

5. Maunday's Bay, Anguilla

6. Gold Rock Beach, Grand Bahama

7. The Baths, Virgin Gorda

8. Flash of Beauty, Anegada

9. Jobson's Bay, Bermuda

10.Spring Bay Beach, Virgin Gorda

But Shell Beach would follow shortly after the above for me,as well as some of the beaches we saw on St. John.

We were however VERY impressed with the views looking down on the beaches, which really reminded us of France and Italy's Amalfi Coast and a special treat as Anguilla is so flat. In Anguilla we do have terrific views of the mountains of Sint Maarten across the water but that has a totally different feel than the St. Barth's views.

By this time our ears were acclimating to the French accent. As everyone spoke English there was no language difficulty. We drove up the hill to see Village St. Jean as we had considered staying there and liked it very much for these same views. Utter tranquility in a garden setting.

At lunch back at the hotel, the lemongrass gazpacho soup was again a perfect combination of ingredients. The DH's chicken stir fry maybe slightly salty for him but I enjoyed it. He's a stickler about too much salt and we typically avoid fast food and chains restaurants at home for this reason. I wouldn't describe us as foodies but we are getting there slowly but surely.

The afternoon on St. Jean Beach was lovely. This beach and Flamands were my favorites after Shell Beach. We lucked out with the seaweed as it had pretty much disappeared both in St. Barth's and Anguilla. Just a few remnants on Flamands but nothing to worry about. In my lounge chair on St. Jean's I did find myself wishing I could photo shop out a couple of boats in-between me and the low lying cays. We swam to the left of the chairs which left us with a perfect view of this gentle beach with a mirror-like surface.

That night for dinner we had originally chosen Eddy's with lots of help from the regulars on the St. Barth's board but realizing it was closed on Sunday nights tried to get reservations at Le Gaiac at Le Tony. Apparently this is one of those difficult to get reservations and we ended up at Isle de France's Isle de Case restaurant. While the setting was romantic, DH's veal dish was better than my chicken and I just hate when that happens. I generally try and avoid chocolate in desserts but several times both in Anguilla and St. Barth's inadvertently found myself with desserts covered with chocolate syrup and this was one of those times. Usually in the states if a dessert has chocolate in it, it is mentioned in the description. However loved the setting by the water, music and ambiance here.

Arriving back at our suite we found a dozen lit candles and homemade chocolates by our bed.

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Barth's/Anguilla Day Two

Daffy2,

It is interesting that you found the beaches at Salines and Gouverneur crowded. I have heard from a Saint Barth regular who was there in November that they had the same impression i.e. from their vantage point "a lot more people than usual".

Certainly if you compare to Anguilla, I would expect saint barth beaches to be more busy, as they are much smaller. That being said, in my experience, there are rarely more then 30 -50 people on either gouverneur or salines beach at any time. As you pointed out, the busy days tend to be Saturdays and mainly Sundays, when the locals come out.

I am actually very curious as to what may be causing this? More cruise ships? More day trippers? Saint Barth becoming more popular? I will be curious to see if this is a trend.,.

Glen Mills...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
3,709 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Barth's/Anguilla Day Two

Crowded is such a relative term. To clarify, maybe there were just more people than I expected, particularly in low season. All I can say is it felt crowded to me by Anguilla comparisons.

You know, sometimes you get these images in your head of what something should look like and maybe it comes from looking at too many picture postcard photos sans people.

Ironically, the thing I really enjoyed about both of these beaches was the people watching. We could have spent more time here just for that but unfortunately we didn't have it.

I expect we will get back to St. Barths in a few years and we will definitely give these beaches another look.

By the way, mmmmpppp, I want to think you specifically for pointing out that "Pick Me Up" special at Eden Rock. Without that suggestion we would not have had the spectacular hotel experience that we did. I'm still dreaming about that hot tub!.

3. Re: St. Barth's/Anguilla Day Two

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 03:15
Get answers to your questions about St. Barthelemy
Recent Conversations