We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winair and pets

Chicago
Level Contributor
124 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Winair and pets

Hello,

My husband are headed to St. Bart's for our 3rd annual trip and have decided to skip the ferry and take the Winair flight and bring our little dog with us, afterall he deserves a vacation also!

Our dog is a 13lb Shih Tzu mix. Anyone had any experiences flying with their dog on Winair? We don't want to put him the cargo area and were hoping because of his size he can fly in the cabin with us. Reaching someone Winair is a nightmare so hoping the forums will help.

Thanks!

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winair and pets

I have not flown with a dog. I can tell you that Winair planes are very small and that most hand luggage goes into the cargo area. You just drop it by the plane as you board, and get it back on the tarmac as you deplane.

If your dog is small enough, you can probably fit it and its carrier under the seat in front of you. Note that the space there is probably 20-30% smaller than on a coach commercial flight, so it has to be very small. Otherwise you could buy a seat for the dog, and strap the carrier next to you.

I doubt they'll let you put the dog carrier in the isle, for security reasons. They usually ask people to put bags that they try to leave there under the seat of failing that in the cargo area. I doubt also, for the same security reasons, that you can just hold the dog.

Chicago
Level Contributor
124 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winair and pets

Thanks for the response. I didn't think of buying my dog a seat, that's a good idea and one I will look into.

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winair and pets

Also, you should know that dogs are not allowed on beaches in Saint Barth. I am not sure how strictly this is enforced. But you may want to check before you take your dog.

Chicago
Level Contributor
124 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winair and pets

I was wondering that, last year I noticed a lot of smaller dogs on St. Jean's beach but not any other beaches. I will check with my hotel, thanks.

St Barts
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Winair and pets

Dogs are technically not allowed on any beach.

Some people do it and get away with it, but strictly it is against the law.

Killjoys on the one hand, dog poop in the sand on the other is a bit of an beach experience killer.

St. Maarten
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Winair and pets

Information on Pets from Winair website www.fly-winair.com

Pets & Service Animals

Pets are defined as dogs, cats and domestic birds. WINAIR will only accept pets for carriage in the aircraft checked baggage compartment. Prior notice of at least forty-eight hours must be given to WINAIR for the carriage of pets and confirmation must be received from Winair. Transportation of pets require import/export licenses and veterinary clearances.

Service animals trained to assist customers with mobility, visual and hearing disabilities may be accepted in the cabin at no charge. Medical documentation may be required stating that the passenger must have the animal with them. The service animal will occupy the floor space where the passenger sits and cannot obstruct an aisle or areas that must remain clear in case of an emergency evacuation.

Chicago
Level Contributor
124 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winair and pets

Thanks for all the responses. We've decided to leave our furry friend at home :(

Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winair and pets

Dogs are allowed on Flamands Beach.

9. Re: Winair and pets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2013, 09:24