We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small cottage on the beach or luxury in the hills? HELP!

Taylorsville
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Small cottage on the beach or luxury in the hills? HELP!

First time to St. Barts, should we stay in a inexpensive small beach villa with no pool directly on St.Jean or Flamands or should we splurge and pay more for a villa with a pool, high up in the hills, with a great view? What will the mosquitos be like in both places? We plan to rent a car for the week.

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small cottage on the beach or luxury in the hills? HELP!

Mosquitoes are on and off in Saint Barth. Usually it is not a problem, but at times there are more of them. Villa on the hills is more likely to be immune.

Whether you want to be on the beach or up on the hill is a matter of taste. I would personally pick the hill. You will spend a lot of time on the beach, and will appreciate getting to your villa for sundowners. Also breakfast with a view can be magnificent. However some people love the early walks on the beach. It is more of a matter of taste. Villas tend to be more private also, although some cottages on the beach can be.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
622 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small cottage on the beach or luxury in the hills? HELP!

I have stayed in a few of the St. Jean beach front cottages and loved it early and late, but not private at all nor is the decor polished. People walk by and stare at you. Very busy area near Nikki Beach and public access to the beach. You can't leave ANYTHING on the porch as it will get nicked. I go to different beaches-so don't really need the beach out my front door. I prefer St. Jean hillside. Nicer villa and sheets. I love looking out over the pool to the ocean.

My preference.

St Barts
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Small cottage on the beach or luxury in the hills? HELP!

<<Villa on the hills is more likely to be immune>>

Not sure I agree with that, if you are bang on the beach there are very few mosquitoes.

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Small cottage on the beach or luxury in the hills? HELP!

My experience is that right on the beach you never get mosquitoes, but you can get them if you are only 100 feet removed inland.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
30 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small cottage on the beach or luxury in the hills? HELP!

It's weird, but true....right on the beach, no mosquitos....100 yards inland, especially if there is vegetation, they are prevalent in the morning and at sunset.

If you're going to have a car, then I say stay up in the hills with a pool. It's the best of both worlds. You can do afternoon and sunset poolside at your villa, and mornings at the beach or flip it around.

Montville
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Small cottage on the beach or luxury in the hills? HELP!

We have stayed at Villa Du Dragon on the beach in flamands. Best villa ever. Two bedroom. We have also stayed at Villa West Indies on the cliff in Flammands, but you can really walk to the beach. Take a look at those

Montville
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Small cottage on the beach or luxury in the hills? HELP!

I personally think a car is a must have. There is also an America grocery store in Gustavia so you can buy your favorites from home like orange juice, soda and cereals. If you do stay in Flammands do go to the Petite Columbier Bakery earlier in the morning. We get sandwiches and do the famous hike to Columbier Beach. So excited for you. We are scheduled to go back to St Barts in October and am counting the days.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
622 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Small cottage on the beach or luxury in the hills? HELP!

Stayed on St. Jean beach a few times in different villas-and at sunset the biters come out. If you are right at the waters edge-no biters, but if you want to sit and read and have a glass of wine another story, I cover up and use OFF. I get attacked at every villa we have stayed in at sun down-up the hill on down at the beach. But most people don't sit outside at sun down-I do.

St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Small cottage on the beach or luxury in the hills? HELP!

As an insider, my choice would be a nice villa well exposed to the wind with a beautiful view. Knowing that no matter where you are, you are 10 minutes away from a beach...

If the place is windy enough, you won't get too many mosquitoes.

And it's always appreciated to cool down in a nice pool after a day at the beach!

10. Re: Small cottage on the beach or luxury in the hills? HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 20:17