We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Supplies?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Supplies?

Where is the best place to rent beach chairs/umbrellas or buy basic beach needs (extra sunblock, towels, etc)? I'm hoping to travel down there in May with only carry-on baggage so space is limited. And with my sun-sensitive fair skin, I want to make sure I can stay covered while exploring all the great beaches!

Any info is much appreciated!

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Supplies?

There are a few hotels that will allow you access to their beach loungers for the day. Ile de France,Guanahani, Sereno, Taiwana, Nikki beach all do this but it can be pricey (i.e. 30 Euros per person per day). La Plage in Saint Jean also offers the same, and it is cheaper, more like 15 or 20 Euros.

I don't know of any place that will rent portable chairs and umbrellas. Many villas come with them, and your hotel may have some to lend. If not, you can buy them in the shops. I can think of two in Saint Jean, one up the hill from Le Piment restaurant., the other nearby kiki-me-o. There must be some in Gustavia as well. Note that portable umbrellas are important, as several beaches (salines, gouverneur, colombier), have no services whatsoever and no shade.

For sunblock, etc. I usually go the the supermarket across from the airport. I think they have beach towels too although again, your villa or hotel will most likely supply those. I never had to get extra towels.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Supplies?

Thank you for the info! I'm looking to stay at Auberge de la Petite Anse so I'm assuming chairs/umbrellas/beach towels are likely not included since it's pretty basic... I'll verify when I book but I just wanted to see what my options were beforehand. Either way, I'll definitely be sure to pick up an umbrella if one isn't available on loan.

Thanks again!

Edited: 09 March 2012, 17:49
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Supplies?

A few tips from this pale-skinned St Barths fan:

First, plan your beachwear to eliminate the need for an umbrella or chair. Buy an SPF-rated rash guard, SPF-rated, wide-bimmed hat, and a sarong. All of that can be stowed in a carry-on, and the sarong does double-duty as a towel. Very chic, multipurpose, and no extra stuff to haul around.

Second, yes, great sunblock is available at the pharmacie across from the airport, however, you may not find your fave US brand.

Finally, for shade, stick with Lorient and Gouverneur beaches. They both have shady spots for cover.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Supplies?

Great tips above.....

Your hotel will likely have beach towels but not sure about the chairs. There are a few stores in Gustavia as well as those mentioned by mmmmpppp. One I can think of for sure is just past the grocery on Rue de la Republique, not far from the car park.

To the hotels listed above, I would add Eden Rock, La Plage at Tom Beach and the stand next to it (where you can also rent paddleboards, kayaks) for beach loungers. Note that in some cases the hotels will waive the fee if you have lunch there (Guanahani and Isle de France are two I know for sure.)

I absolutely LOVE the sun products on St Barth. We rarely bring our own (exception: Bullfrog with mosquito repellant for hikes) as what is available down there is superior. We like Vichy but Esthederm is highly recommended for fair skinned people. It is expensive but worth it.

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Supplies?

The "stand" next to La Plage is on St. Jean is Carib Waterplay...we were teasing the owner about being a "movie star"...he was featured in a recent TV show featuring St. Barth.....Bethany's honeymoon? Think that's it. B

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
623 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Supplies?

Suntan lotion by Roc is amazingly good. You can get at the pharmacy just across from the airport.

I always wear a long sleeve beach cover up and a hat. Most hotels and villas will have beach chairs and maybe even an umbrella.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Supplies?

My fair skin and I thank you for all the great tips and locations! I will be sure to take advantage of them - especially all the great sun products.

Thanks again everyone!

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Supplies?

If you want US skin protection products, you can get them at the supermarket. Pharmacies will tend to stock the European brands.

9. Re: Beach Supplies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 11:16