We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Suggestion Please

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
136 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Suggestion Please

Hello, We are planning a June trip to St. Barths. From TripAdvisor, I've narrowed down our choices to LeVillage St. Jean, Emeraude Plage, and Le Ondines Sur La Plage. We'd like a great view, clean, quiet, hopefully romantic, and somewhat convenient. We will have a car. Your suggestions as to the pros and cons of these hotels are greatly appreciated. Thank you. TC

Atlanta,GA
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Suggestion Please

You may consider a villa as well?

Privacy, views, value.

Edited: 16 May 2012, 03:58
NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Suggestion Please

These are all fine choices. They all offer views, cleanliness, quietness and convenience.

The main differences are:

- Village Saint Jean: Not on a beach, but on the hill. Beautiful vistas of the Saint Jean Bay. Technically walking distance to Saint Jean beach but in practice you will drive as the hill is very steep. Hotel is up the hill from Eden Rock and Nikki beach, which, along with La Plage are the centers of action in Saint Jean beach.

- Emeraude Plage: On the beach in Saint Jean. Comparable accomodations to village Saint Jean. Probably less of a view from your room as they will face the garden (except for the few beachfront suites) but many appreciate the possibility to lounge on the beach right there. Hotel is next to Eden Rock but very quiet.

Both of these are in Saint Jean meaning also that you can easily get to the few restaurants in Saint Jean (Hideaway, Eden Rock, Nikki Beach, Le Piment, La Plage). and the few shops as well.

- Ondines de la plage: On a beach that is more out of the way (Grand cul de sac). Very quiet hotel, perhaps looks and feels a bit more like a small rental condo. Beach is a bit of a center for watersports (windsurfing) because water is very still despite decent wind. Proximity to Le Sereno and Guanahani hotels, and of a few beach side restaurants (La Gloriette, etc.). Main drawback is that part of the beachfront has been under intermittent construction for the last couple of years, as the project ran out of money. Rumors are that they started again, but not sure, better check. In truth, it may not affect you much, but does create a bit of an eyesore especially as you drive to the hotel.

Most romantic? I am not sure. All will be in a sense, because they are all small and personal. If the price is the same, I think I would pick the Emeraude Plage. I don't think you'll be disappointed anywhere however.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
623 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Suggestion Please

I would stay in St. Jean for a first visit, as Grand cul de Sac is 20 minutes from the main Town and driving at night with a glass of wine over curvey roads might not be fun.

I have stayed at both EP and LVSJ. EP is much nicer Thugh both were great visits!

I think a villa might also be a great way to go too!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
136 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Suggestion Please

Thank you for your helpful suggestions.

We'll give this some thought.

Tim

Atlanta,GA
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Suggestion Please

Our opinion, Village St Jean is clearly the least romantic of the two.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Suggestion Please

I would opt for a villa first and then go with Emeraude Plage. I would *not* recommend staying at Les Ondines Sur La Plage for the sole reason that, yes, construction has started again at the long-defunct hotel and spa project that sits alongside Les Ondines.

Have fun!

7. Re: Hotel Suggestion Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 03:16
Get answers to your questions about St. Barthelemy
Recent Conversations