We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the island too busy the week after Christmas?

Level Contributor
15 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Is the island too busy the week after Christmas?

We are thinking of returning to St Bart's the week after Christmas. I know this is the peak of high season.

My question is - is it too busy in a way as to make the stay not as enjoyable. For example, is everything so packed that you can't get in any restaurants?

Thanks in advance.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the island too busy the week after Christmas?

We were just there for the week after Christmas. It's busy but we had no problem getting reservations at all our favorite restaurants. You should just make your reservations a couple of weeks before your trip. The beaches are never crowded since so many people hang out at their villa pools instead of going to the beach. If you can afford it go ahead. You'll have fun!

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the island too busy the week after Christmas?

New Year's (i.e. the week from dec 26 to Jan 2 or 3) is clearly the busiest and least pleasant time of the year in Saint Barth. That being said, you will get tables at any restaurant if you take the time to reserve a couple of hours before. So no big deal. Beaches are more crowded than usual, but as Vickie said, that is not a big deal. You will encounter the occasional 10 mins traffic jam entering Gustavia in the evening, and may have to look for parking longer than usual, but you will ultimately find it.

I have to warn you however on prices. They are sky high. Hotels and villa will charge 2 to 3x their normal high season rate (6x low season). Car rentals double their price. Restaurants on new years eve will cost somewhere between 400 Euros to 1000 Euros per person.

That being said, I keep going, because it is a time of the year where I can take vacatons. I do prefer other times however.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the island too busy the week after Christmas?

I actually prefer March and April during the boat races, but same for me, I go to St. Bart's whenever I get the chance.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
623 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the island too busy the week after Christmas?

We usually go over NYE every year and have a crew of friends who do the same.

The price is the highest of the year, and many villa and hotel have min nights (10-14 nights). We like to go for two weeks so that doesn't impact us.

If you have fav dinner places-make those reservations when you book your villa or hotel.. Why wait to make a reservation when you know you want to go? Maya's, The Strand, Wall House, and Le Ti St. Barth's are very competive to get a table during that time period.

It is the busiest time period, but even then, the beaches aren't crazy cowded.

And star sightings are a fun bonus.

Level Contributor
15 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the island too busy the week after Christmas?

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions. I appreciate it.

It will be interesting to compare what it is like in St Barth's over NYE vs August.

St Barts
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the island too busy the week after Christmas?

August is quiet and hot!

A lot more Europeans, French, Italians and Spanish.

Most things are open.

In August you get more of a real taste of the island, at Christmas it is more of a New York high society hang out

7. Re: Is the island too busy the week after Christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 10:42