We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight transfer at sxm to st bart

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
flight transfer at sxm to st bart

We'll be arriving to sxm at 1:36 pm on us air and leaving on winair to st barts at 3:15 pm. Trying to get advice about checked baggage, immigration, maybe paying for vip service with winair etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I booked these flights separately, is it possible to check baggage straight thru?

St Barts
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: flight transfer at sxm to st bart

The Winair VIP service is expensive

Google "St Barts airport assistance"

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flight transfer at sxm to st bart

You might be able to get your bags checked through if you can convince the USAir counter person when you check in for your flights. You should have the Winair boarding passes available to show them. Also FYI the airport code for St Barth is SBH and the code for Winair is WM.

There are specific instructions for navigating the airport with bags checked through and if you need to retrieve your and recheck. Here are some links:

http://tinyurl.com/7z9o82q

http://tinyurl.com/6st88lq

http://tinyurl.com/74xbkrp

You can consider a VIP service but with 2+ hours I don't think you need one. Also you DEFINITELY don't if you can check the bags through. Premium IV, AirSXM, St Barth Services are a few who will offer the VIP options.

Hope this helps. Come back if you have more questions.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flight transfer at sxm to st bart

Thanks mamiesgirl.

We actually have a little less that two hours (1hr 39min), assuming our incoming sxm flight is on time. I contacted us air and we can have our bags checked thru to sbh. Would that allow us to avoid immigration?

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flight transfer at sxm to st bart

Yes, if your bags are checked to St Barth when you enter the airport you will stop at the "Transfer Desk" which is BEFORE you get to the immigration line, or on your left (depends on if you enter the terminal from the tarmac or jetbridge. There is a Winair desk where you will check in and get boarding passes. Keep your ticket stub from US Air with you as you might need it since you booked separately. It can avoid a fee. Once you check in you will be directed to the "intransit gate," where you will go through a quick security check and upstairs to the gate. Depending on the line at the transfer desk and intransit gate, it can be as little as 3 minutes, but usually no more than 20.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flight transfer at sxm to st bart

Is Winair the only/best option going into SBH from SXM via USair?

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flight transfer at sxm to st bart

You have two choices: Winair and Saint Barth Commuter. Very similar.

I hear Saint Barth Commuter is "nicer" and perhaps a tad cheaper. They have fewer flights however. I usuallly pick based on schedule.

Kennett Square, PA
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flight transfer at sxm to st bart

I have never checked bags going to St. Barths. It is a minimalist island. The transfer process is quick and if you get to the Winair gate early or late don't worry they will just put you on the next flight. You can't check bags through on St. Barth's Commuter. Whichever you choose, enjoy your 15 minutes to paradise!

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flight transfer at sxm to st bart

Thank you. Decided to go with Commuter based on Time and Price.

9. Re: flight transfer at sxm to st bart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 05:19