We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussie honeymooners first timers to St Barths & Caribbean

Sydney
Level Contributor
26 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Aussie honeymooners first timers to St Barths & Caribbean

My wife (to be) & I are heading to the other side of the planet from Sydney and have chosen Anguilla & St Barths as our destination (along with Vegas & Playa del Carmen on the way home). We're thinking of spending 4 nights in St Barths followed by 6 nights in Anguilla.

As I am well travelled she has left the whole honeymoon up to me, so I've looked into Le Christopher & Isle de France. They both look amazing as does Eden rock.

I'd love some feedback on location of these resorts in relation to the great outdoors of St Barths and all it has to offer. And is 4 nights enough? Le Christopher has an amazing deal at around $100 per night less that IDF.

Also I am hooked on Anguilla without ever having gone there and think that 6 nights is a minimum. But perhaps we should split 5 nights in SBH & 5 in AXA? My other half wanted to go to Europe but we dislike winter anywhere, so I promised her I'd take her to France in summer for our HM (Hence SBH). I personally think she will LOVE IDF just looking at it but not sure about the location.

I loved the look of Cap Juluca but we have tentatively booked Viceroy instead as they gave us a much better rate, and the latter is renovating so we don't want to risk going in case they haven't completed.

Thank you in advance.

Robert

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
623 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aussie honeymooners first timers to St Barths & Caribbean

Hotel Christopher just had a renovation, but no beacch here-just rocks. I would certainly look closer at IdF and Eden Rock or even Hotel Carl Gustav. With so few nights, I would stronger stay close to Gustavia-the main Town. Eden Rock is super romantic on a high energy beach (no pool).. IdF is a bit furthe but is luxury with beach and pool.

St. Jean's beach has energy because of places to eat on the beach not because it is crowded.

I think an even split is good. Never been to Anguilla but from this forum-it seems many prefer St. Barth's!

Sydney
Level Contributor
26 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aussie honeymooners first timers to St Barths & Caribbean

Thanks for your help. Still can't decide between Christopher & IDF. Will do some more research and ask a few ?? In the hope of deciding soon.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aussie honeymooners first timers to St Barths & Caribbean

The major difference between the two is that the IdF is on a beach and the Chris is not.

ottawa
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aussie honeymooners first timers to St Barths & Caribbean

Between those two,pick IDF.If you go to SBH first ,you won't want to bother with Anguilla

Check out Village st Jean,too.

30 years visiting- spend 1/3 of the year.

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aussie honeymooners first timers to St Barths & Caribbean

Definitely IDF over Christopher if the rate is similar. IDF is a much higher category of hotel and it is on the beach.

Atlanta,GA
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Aussie honeymooners first timers to St Barths & Caribbean

I'd consider a villa on the hillside near Hotel Isle de France.

Gorgeous views (far better than the ones down below), along with additional space and privacy.

Some villa owners maintain a relationship for their Guests' use of hotel facilities such as where we stay----Villa Flamands Blue, a short walk down the sidewalk to the hotel and beach.

Chistopher has nice views, restaurant and spa but a little isolated and a long way from any beach.

Franklin, Michigan
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Aussie honeymooners first timers to St Barths & Caribbean

IDF is a must if you go to St Barts, we have stayed there 3 times, and booked a room in the hotel part that over looks the beach. Its very pricey, but being right on the beach was great. After 3 stays at the hotel, we finally got smart and booked a private villa, the island is full of private villas for less money than the cost of the hotel. (there are many villa sites that are extremely reliable with pictures to that are exactly what you are getting, we have used 3 different companies to book villas and have been very happy, been to the island 7 times now) Most villas have private pool and great views. You certainly can not go wrong with the IDF hotel. I agree with other comments, if you are traveling to St Barts, you might as well forget about going to other islands, there is nothing as beautiful or upscale as St Barts. You will be sorry that you are leaving the island......hope this helps

Kennett Square, PA
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aussie honeymooners first timers to St Barths & Caribbean

We honeymooned on Anguilla years ago, I would recommend Cap Juluca, the beach there is like baby powder. It is quiet, with great service, you will not be disappointed. We also love St. Barth's! A villa is the way to go, the views are breathtaking and the vibe is very cool. I would spend more time on St. Barths if I were you, it is simply beautiful with pristine beaches. The restaurants are amazing and you must try Le Ti, no description, you just must go!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
454 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aussie honeymooners first timers to St Barths & Caribbean

My husband and I split our honeymoon between Anguilla and St. Barts 4 1/2 years ago and loved it. We spent three nights at Cap Juluca, which I would highly recommend; however, like you mentioned, CJ is going through renovations. I believe new owners just took over (or are about to). Anguilla has fabulous beaches and great restaurants - a good mixture of upscale and beach bar-type places. We then spent a week in St. Barts, which became our new favorite island. In fact, we're going back next month. We rented a villa, so I can't help with hotel recommendations.

Since you have 10 nights between the islands, I would suggest doing 5 nights in each or even 6 nights in St. Barts and 4 in Anguilla. Either way, I highly recommend visiting both islands especially since, as you said, you're traveling to the "other side of the planet." By visiting both, you'll get two completely different island experiences in one trip. St. Barts has beautiful topography, great beaches and fabulous restaurants. It's definitely got the "island chic" thing going on. Anguilla has outstanding beaches and very good restaurants, but the island itself is flat and scrubby. It's more laid-back.

Whatever you choose, I hope you have a fabulous honeymoon. Congratulations!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,762 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aussie honeymooners first timers to St Barths & Caribbean

My wife and I have done the combined St Barts and Anguilla trip...7 days on each. The two islands are very different, but we really enjoyed them both.

St. Barts...somebody cut a chunk out of the French Riviera and dropped it in the Caribbean. Villas on St. Barts area honeymooners paradise. Lots of little one bedroom private, gated "paradises" We stayed here...Villa Hilly...it was absolutely gorgeous. Couldn't imagine a better honeymoon accomodation...

stbartsblue.com/villa_detail.php?id=263

My wife and I vacation in France every year and have for years and years...so for it was nice to go somewhere (and not cross an ocean) and get to speak French for a week....and get to shop in French stores with wonderful French wines and food. The beaches are lovely, the restaurants are amazing and (in season) you can get a snapshot of an Ibiza nitelife.

Anguilla has the best beaches in the Caribbean...period. Laid back where St B. is luxe. Still the hotels you are considering are world class. Anguilla has some amazing restaurants as well. Veya is second to none. But there also some great "lolos"...roadside BBQ's. Bankie Banks Dune Preserve is something special..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEDU9b8-_v0

If I were to recommend one over the other...I would say more time on St Barts...it truly is a honeymooners paradise.

Stay in a villa on St. Barts....have your own private pool...behind gates....honeymoon heaven.,

Edited: 02 November 2012, 04:47