We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions while villa-hunting...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
40 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions while villa-hunting...

My husband and I have visited St. John a few times (including last week) and while we absolutely love it there, we do feel like we should explore other islands. I'm in charge of choosing the next trip (yay!) and I'm thinking about St. Bart's - I've read the topography is fairly similar to St. John. So, I'm trying to get to know the different areas of the island. Would someone please point me in the right direction?

1.) I prefer a villa with a pool that is high up on a hill with a great view and a breeze vs. being close to the beach. What areas of St. Bart's should I look at?

2.) Close proximity to anything is not a concern - I know the island is small, and we don't mind a 20-30 minute drive to anything. In fact, I prefer the quiet and we like to be secluded a bit from other homes if possible. What area of the island is more low-key and/or more sparsely populated than other spots?

3.) Not a question, but if budget is a factor in deciding the area, we are trying to stay around $500-600 per night.

Thanks in advance!

Susan

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
MD
Level Contributor
84 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions while villa-hunting...

From what you are describing I think you should look into Vitet. It is the highest point on the island. It is a bit further out but the views are spectacular. We have stayed in Villa Royal Palm and absolutely loved it!

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions while villa-hunting...

Probably one of the best "value" areas of the island is Point Milou, and Colombier sounds like it would be right up your alley, too. Enjoy your trip, B

Edited: 30 August 2012, 01:41
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
40 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions while villa-hunting...

That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for - thanks so much! I'll take a look at Vitet and the Royal Palm, too.

If you (or anyone else reading this) are ever looking for a similar spot in St. John, we just came back from villa Bay Rum Breeze on Bordeaux Mountain/Mamey Peak on the Coral Bay side. It was gorgeous! Amazing view, super private, with a nice breeze.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
40 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions while villa-hunting...

Ooo, thanks! I'll look at Point Milou and Colombier, too. I love having lots of options. (Villa-hunting is one of my favorite pastimes!)

Mequon, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
266 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions while villa-hunting...

I agree that Pointe Milou is a wonderful area. BEV is a terrific villa, but not at a bargain price. Prices depend on what time of year you are visiting.

Lately our favorite is AMH, Amber House. It has a view of Gustavia and the port. It's fun to watch the container ships come and go. The pool is dark, so it is warmer than most.

We've stayed in Vitet, but it wasn't our favorite.

I agree, villa hunting is part of the trip. Happy hunting!!

On our last trip, we booked our villa with Premium IV and received a terrific price on a car.

Mentioned in this post
Gustavia
Gustavia
St. Barthelemy
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,297 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions while villa-hunting...

I agree that villa shopping is one of the best parts of the trip. You have received excellent advice so far. Every area has a range of villa prices. We have stayed in Vitet twice and while its not for everyone (think remote and STEEP!) the views and breezes are great.

A few other remote areas to consider are Grand Fond and Toiny. Not as many villas in those area but they are quiet and give you a different look of the island. Very rustic, wild surf and just beautiful.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
625 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions while villa-hunting...

I like Anse des Caye and Lurin-nearby the action but super views and depending on the villa-private.

Pretty much anywhere except Gustavia can be have a private villa. Just depends.

Mentioned in this post
Gustavia
Gustavia
St. Barthelemy
Atlanta,GA
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: A few questions while villa-hunting...

We've stayed all over the island and find Flamands the finest location.

We are beach types so having a view and walking to the pretty beach there is a must.

Vitet has some nice views but it's a long way to drive for dinner or the beach, same with Pte Milou.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
40 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few questions while villa-hunting...

This is such great information, thank you! (And remote/steep is perfect!) I'm so glad I asked the question here. I'm excited! I'll post back after we have settled on our choice. Thank you again!

Toronto
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few questions while villa-hunting...

Check out Villa Kercliff and Haute Maison in Colombier. Very private and beautiful views. And you can deal directly with owner which might save you some admin fees. Enjoy your quest - villa hunting on St Barth is so much fun.