We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is St. Barths like St. John? and is Anguilla like Nevis?

atlanta
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Is St. Barths like St. John? and is Anguilla like Nevis?

We have been to St. John and Nevis and have loved them both for different reasons. For our next trip in November we are debating between a villa on St. Barth and the Viceroy on Anguilla (flight is booked to St. Maartin so we just need to pick between final destinations). We are going for a week so not enough time to do both. We are making the assumption that the Viceroy on Anguilla would be similar to Four Seasons on Nevis and that villa on St. Barths will be a similar experience to St. John. Is this a correct assumption? Would anyone be so kind as to compare/contrast Nevis/Anguilla and St. John/St. Barths. Thanks!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,955 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is St. Barths like St. John? and is Anguilla like Nevis?

Your assumptions are incorrect. Those islands are vastly different so it's hard to "compare" since they are DIFFERENT not SIMILAR.

Anguilla is nothing at all like Nevis. Compared to Nevis Anguilla is flat as a pancake and is arid and scrubby. Anguilla's beaches, however, are far superior to the ones on Nevis. You'll have more dining options (80+ restaurants) on Anguilla vs. only about 20 places on Nevis.

St. Barts is similar in topography to St. John but it is much more arid. You'll find much better and more dining options on St. Bart's than you did on St. John. St. Bart's has more of a European vibe vs. the Caribbean feel you found on St. John. St. Bart's will be more vibrant than St. John.

Anguilla is all about beaches and restaurants - go there if you want to swim on a beach, read a book on a beach, walk on a beach or just relax on a beach. when not on a beach you'll spend your time dining in restaurants.

St. Bart's is more like going to the beach in France - plenty of waterspouts, sophisticated shopping, mingling with the beautiful people and, of course, dining on fine French Cuisine.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is St. Barths like St. John? and is Anguilla like Nevis?

We have been to all four. Anguilla vs. St Barts?? St. Barts! Out of all four, Anguilla was our least favorite. Beautiful beaches, absolutely , but St. Barts has those plus so much more. Have fun!

Montreal
Level Contributor
192 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is St. Barths like St. John? and is Anguilla like Nevis?

My favourite islands are Nevis, Anguilla and St. Bart's in that order. Didn't care for St. John. Anguilla and St. Bart's are very different than the other 2 but totally worth visiting. They are both in their own ways sophisticated and pricey. Americans seem drawn to both. Anguilla is all about the water and beaches. If you are a beach person primarily, then Anguilla is for you. If you like shopping and sophistication, then St. Bart's is for you. Anguilla has the least interesting topography of the 4 you mentioned but the Anguilla locals are charming and low key. The service people you will encounter in St. Bart's are French expats or students. Anguilla is a little more US-friendly in terms of currency and sensibility.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,603 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is St. Barths like St. John? and is Anguilla like Nevis?

I think what Nadhub is saying is that St. Barths is a 95% white island...a part of European Union, and most people in the hotel industry are Europeans - easy for us to work in St. Barths. They have their employment contracts backed by trade unions, and have no reason to pamper to the Americans..

and they don't rely on tips.

St.Barths is great, but I also like Anguilla....and would have a huge problem if I had to chose only one of these two islands for our annual holidays in the Caribbean.

Edited: 01 October 2012, 17:00
Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is St. Barths like St. John? and is Anguilla like Nevis?

My advice: Try both! (Maybe not on the same visit) I found Anguilla so restful and peaceful and I know it sounds corny but I fell in love with my husband all over again in Anguilla.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
623 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is St. Barths like St. John? and is Anguilla like Nevis?

I always felt that St. Barth's offers you to have any vacation you want-a beer with the wharf rats all salty and sandy to spending $5,000 on lunch and everything in between in a safe place with gorg vistas.

The beaches are amazing..I fluctuate between loving St. Jean (a little action) or Gouvenuer or Saline for their amazing natural beauty.

St. Barth's is where I recharge my batteries because I can truly relax and enjoy nature AND get amazing food.

As you can tell-I am TEAM ST. BARTH'S

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is St. Barths like St. John? and is Anguilla like Nevis?

help!! we have been to anguilla, anegada, panama , costa rica, belize and more. Considering St. Barts and outer islands of bahamas..also the islands off shore from Guadeloupe? we like to see the real caribbean..talk with locals, eat their foods, stay in smaller hotels near beaches...any iudeas??

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is St. Barths like St. John? and is Anguilla like Nevis?

"we like to see the real caribbean..talk with locals, eat their foods, stay in smaller hotels near beaches...any iudeas??"

St Barth is probably not the island for you...B

Kennett Square, PA
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is St. Barths like St. John? and is Anguilla like Nevis?

We go to Anguilla every few years, it has a chill carribean vibe where as St. Barths has an upscale French vibe. Both islands have amazing beaches Anguilla being flat, St. Barth's beautifully mountainous. I absolutely love them both! Both need to be experienced for what they are...enjoy!

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,255 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is St. Barths like St. John? and is Anguilla like Nevis?

All of these islands are very different - I agree with almost everything all of the previous replies have said.

Over the last 4 decades I have spent time on all of them - mostly via sailboat - and will go back to all of them anytime although they have all changed over time - progress?

St John which you have visited, and a villa in St Barths are a somewhat similar experience - but with many more food option on SBH - many beach bars, top flight European shops, relaxed beach attire customs, and a very different chic clientele compared to the very American STJ visitors. It truly is a slice of France but does not have the lush mountainous topography of STJ - the beaches are comparative but the snorkeling in SBH is lacking for sure. You can get by easily in English but wish you spoke better French.

A beach resort Vacation in Anguilla is just that - an island filled with beautiful beaches and resorts on some of them - it is my favorite white sand destination - the people are very friendly and outgoing and outside of the higher end hotels the island has a very natural Caribbean feel. The 4 Seasons on Nevis would fit right in - but Nevis doesn't have the variety of beaches, although it does have the only golf course of the 4 islands you mentioned, or the choices in gourmet dining available in Anguilla.

Your question about the outlying islands of Guadaloupe is interesting to me - Ile de Saintes is a wonderful old favorite of mine and Marie Galante is a fabulous step back in time and absolutely worth a visit as it the most unique destination I have yet found in the Caribbean.

Edited: 02 October 2012, 17:54