We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around St. Bart's from Gustavia

NJ
Level Contributor
263 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around St. Bart's from Gustavia

We will be arriving at St Bart's on a Windstar cruise in January. I was wondering if there are beaches and restaurants in walking distance. If not, what is the best way to get around the island? Are cabs very expensive? We do not want to rent a car.

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around St. Bart's from Gustavia

Lots of dining options right off the tender in Gustavia. The closest beach is Shell beach, and it's a good walk, but do-able for persons without mobility/respiratory issues and comfortable shoes. Bring towels and be prepared to set up your own "camp". The beach is mostly shells and coarse sand. Do Brazil restaurant is located on Shell beach, they have sit-down upstairs or casual walk up bar with sandwiches and light fare, outdoor tables.

Enjoy your time in St. Barth! B

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around St. Bart's from Gustavia

...oh, and the only way to get around the island without renting is to cab, and compared to other islands and the US it's pricey. Hard to find one anywhere except the docks in Gustavia on cruise ship day. If you take one, make sure you arrange for return transportation to the harbor, and allow plenty of return time. B

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,259 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around St. Bart's from Gustavia

Gustavia isn't very big, but there is some decent shopping and some great restaurants. Yes, you can walk to Shell Beach and Do Brazil is a cool spot. Remember that the shops operate on a French schedule and close at noon for a long lunch...until 2 at least.

Do Brazil:

http://www.dobrazil.com/

The Wall House usually has a GREAT formule at lunch...treat yourself to a wonderful meal!

Wall House:

http://www.wallhouserestaurant.com/index.php

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
622 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around St. Bart's from Gustavia

Taxis are VERY expensive-a car rental (can meet you at the dock) is less expensive.

I would certainly walk around Gustavia but also rent a car-the island is small and you can much of it in a day.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
30 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around St. Bart's from Gustavia

If you're remotely interested, you could consider renting a scooter for the day. It's a really fun way to get around. Single day car rentals are very affordable. I'd recommend a Suzuki Jimny (four wheel drive) if you plan to cover a lot of territory.

Quite honestly, you can get from one end of the island to the other in one day, so if you want to visit a different beach, a day-rental of car (or scooter) is the way to go. (And no offense to Shell Beach! It's adorable!)

Edited: 14 November 2012, 21:30
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
622 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around St. Bart's from Gustavia

Scooters on St. Barth's make me cringe. With the steep/twisty roads and that they are not as wide as American road-not a fan. Just rent a car-you can check out a few beaches and have lunch along the way.

Enjoy!

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around St. Bart's from Gustavia

Honestly, just rent a car. It will cost you less than taking a taxi (seriously!) and you will enjoy the island so much more. Drive around the island (this takes about 40 minutes), have lunch in Saint Jean at La Plage or Nikki beach, go to Saline or Gouverneur and enjoy some of the most spectacular beaches in the Carribean. Skinny dip if you dare or watch others doing it. You will have a great time.

Saint Barth is small enought that it is manageable. You won't have to make choices, you can just see everything (well, a lot).

Scooters are life threatening in my opinion. I would never come close to one of those even if my life depended on it. Way too dangerous in Saint Barth given the curvy roads, the hills, and the reckless french drivers.

8. Re: Getting around St. Bart's from Gustavia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 12:19