We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to St Jean from Gustavia

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to St Jean from Gustavia

Hello everybody,

My husband and I will spend a week in St Maarten and I would like to go on a day trip to St Barth's. We'll take the ferry which stops in Gustavia. We would love to go to St Jean beach. How do we get there? Are taxis available around the port? How much would it cost? Are there buses we can take to St Jean? Any advice would be greatly appreciate it.

I searched the forum but I was not able to find an answer, sorry if this was asked before!

Thank you in advance for your help!! :)

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to St Jean from Gustavia

Yes on taxis at the ferry, no on buses. Make sure to negotiate return transportation with your driver BEFORE even getting in the car to go to St. Jean, or you may be "thumbing it" back to Gustavia. Which is common and accepted on the island! Have fun, B

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to St Jean from Gustavia

Thank you for the reply Binti! Good to know that I should negotiate my ride back as well. Do you know how much we should expect to pay? I just want to have a ballpark, just to know what to expect.

Also, is it safe to "thumb it"? I rather not do it but if my taxi doesn't show up on the way back, I would like to have an option.

Thank you again! :)

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to St Jean from Gustavia

Really can't give you a price, it is not cheap. I've only taken a taxi one time in my many trips, and it was one side of the island to the other, about E100 with tip round trip. I know, ouch! When are you going? I'm heading there soon, and if I see a taxi by the ferry I will ask for you.

Hitch-hiking is common. We pick up people all of the time if we have room and are going some distance. Most people visiting for a week or so always rent a car, and they will certainly recognize you as tourists! Just hang your towel around your neck, keep looking at your watch, and look frantic! Someone will pick you up for sure. Kidding! Of course you know the risks of getting in a car with someone you don't know, so weigh options accordingly. But it is an option.

Have a great time! B

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to St Jean from Gustavia

I believe taxi will cost you about 30 euros one way, i.e. 60 euros round trip. May recommendation would be that you rent a car. It will cost you the same/less and you will have the liberty to tour this island.

If you book in advance, the car rental company will meet you at the ferry dock. At the end of the day, you drop the car at the airport, and they will drive you to the dock.

Saint Barth is a very safe island but I don't think I would hitchike. Not so much a safety issue, but you will waiste a lot of time, especialy if you don't know where you are going. Getting of Gustavia hitching is hard as the roads are confusing. Getting back is easier, but it will cause you some stress.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to St Jean from Gustavia

mmmmpppp, what do you think about renting a quad, would that get my wife and me around to various beaches for the day? I'm heading to St Maartin next Thursday for 9 days and on one day will take the Great Bay Express to St Barths, I want to go to St Jean, but possibly one or 2 other beaches, or would I be taking my life in my hands driving around on one of those?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
623 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to St Jean from Gustavia

I have seen the quads around, I would certainly rent a car as you do not know the roads and it is very steep and curvey throughout the island. I have never seen 2 people on one quad-I would NEVER do this option.

I agree the taxi's rate is about 30Euros each way and there is no public transport so you must arrange for the return. Get his mobile number just to be safe.

Enjoy!!!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to St Jean from Gustavia

Thanks ackbyrd, I'll get a car (if I can), we just don't know what day we're going over, we may end up not going if the ferry is full if we try to get on without reservations, I hope that is not the case. I'm pretty excited, we fly out on Thursday the 7th!

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to St Jean from Gustavia

Will miss you by a couple of weeks. Keep in mind Carnival is Tuesday the 12th. Have fun, B

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to St Jean from Gustavia

Thank you all for your help! I think we'll follow your advice and just rent a car for the day. That way we can see other beaches and not have to worry about our taxi showing up.

I'm really excited about the trip!! Thanks again!

Sea Bright, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get to St Jean from Gustavia

Guys I think the taxi fare is 15 euros not 30 from Gustavia to St Jean