We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few days in St Barths

New York
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
A few days in St Barths

Hello,

My wife and I along with our 1 year old daughter will be traveling to ST Maarten in June to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and my 41st birthday. We will arrive in ST Maarten on June 15 from New York City and depart on June 22. I have been toying with the idea of going to ST Barths for a few days while we are in that part of the Caribbean. Thus spending the first couple of days in ST Maarten (6/15-6/18) and 6/19-6/21 in ST Barths. Our Anniversary is on 6/21/2013 so I think that it would be so cool to celebrate our anniversary in two different countries on the same day. We could eat breakfast in ST Barths and have dinner in ST Maarten. I have done some research however; I have a few questions that I hope you will be able to answer. I checked the www.st-barths.com and notice that the two options to get to ST Barths from ST Maarten are either by Ferry or by commuter airline.

1. Which option (Ferry or Flying) is the best while traveling with a one year old baby to St Barths? Also taking into consideration the time that we have to get to the airport prior to departure.

2. Since we will be in ST Maarten, what is the best way to go about purchasing advance airline tickets, I checked Win Air reservation systems online and they seem to require that the purchase is for a connecting flight.

3. Which airline do you recommend (winair or St Barth commuter) for their reliability?

4. Do I need to rent a car for those days while in ST Barths?

5. We both traveled to Paris and loved it. Is there a great French restaurant that you can recommend for a romantic dinner for two and a half (my baby girl)?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few days in St Barths

If you have done research, then you will know that St Maarten is ostensibly a budget destination, while St Barts is really an unlimited budget destination. However, you will be there in low season, so accomodations will be a little less expensive. And everything is still open in June.

You definitely will need a car for St Barts.

The Wall house would be my recommendation for your dinner.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
623 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few days in St Barths

Fly through the Grand Case airport on the French side-cheaper and do not need to be connecting. Yes, flying is best as it is a 10 minute flight and the ferry can be rough.

http://www.stbarthcommuter.com/

Certainly need a car. Period. No discussion.

As for meals...this is St. Barth's baby... If I had one dinner....I would go to Maya's..though Creole not super french. This island delivers when it comes to food. And though romantic and fancy they are super cool with children.

If there for a few nights. I would add Eddy's in Gustavia and then walk around the port to BAZ and listen to some live music..

Love Wall House and check out La Plage and Nikki Beach (mostly they are party lunch spots) sometimes they have great dinners...Nikki Beach had BBQ dinner on the beach with fire dancers one night. Could be fun

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few days in St Barths

Here are my thoughts....

1. I say fly. The ferry is about an hour, versus 15 minutes in the air. Plus it can be rough. The minimal cost savings in not worth it IMHO.

2. You can fly from SXM to SBH on either airline, but you CAN'T fly St Barth Commuter from PJIA as they only take in-transit passengers (meaning you must have a connecting flight.). Usually I recommend SBC out of L'Esperance, the small airport in Grand Case on the French side. However, if you are staying on the Dutch side, a Winair flight from PJIA is pretty convenient. Plus they have more flights. To complicate matters even more, you can fly combine flights, airlines and airports to suit your schedule and price is not affected. There is no savings booking either airline roundtrip versus one ways. We have done this to best suit our connections from the US.

3. We prefer St Barth Commuter as they are slightly cheaper, have a better record for us and are St Barth owned and operated. Winair is Dutch owned, slightly more expensive and they once left us stranded in SXM. Your mileage may vary.

4. You MUST rent a car on St Barth...and St Martin as far as I am concerned. Neither are islands where you stay on the resort the whole time. We even rented a car on SXM on our "stranded" day noted above.

5. For delicious French food in a family friendly place, I would recommend Santa Fe, just above Gustavia. They have many classic dishes and a more laid back ambience. Also Le Repaire in Gustavia has some classic French dishes and a nice view of the Harbor. Finally, the Wall House is a good pick, other side of the harbor. Any of these will be fine with a one year old, provided you eat early (7:00 PM is early by SBH standards.)

Have a great trip, and feel free to post back with more questions. You don't mention where you are staying, but St Jean is a great area and has a nice beach for little ones, very calm.

New York
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few days in St Barths

Hi Mamiesgirl, thank you very much for responding to my posting. It is such a pleasure to have my questions answered. I think that I will take your advice and fly to St Barths. At the present time, I haven't really decided on a specific hotel as yet, since I just started thinking about this on monday. I do like Eden Rock and Hotel Le Toiney. I haven't really narrowed in a specific area as yet but I will take your advice and look into st Jean much further. One thing that concerns me is I've read on other posting that there are alot of mosquitos in St Barths. should this be a major concern of mine because we are traveling with our little daugher

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few days in St Barths

You're welcome!

You will not experience any more mosquitoes in St Barth than St Martin,or anywhere else in the Caribbean. You can buy great bug repellant stuff in the local grocery stores. Try Mosquito Milk if you are not deet-adverse.

I would recommend Eden Rock over Toiny for its convenient location on St Jean Beach with restaurants and shops in walking distance. Toiny is a spectacular hotel and their restaurant is amazing, but neither are really child-appropriate. It's in a remote location above the wild coast. Another child friendly hotel is Guanahani on Grand Cul de Sac. It's on a bay with super calm, shallow water and no surf, plus has a lovely pool. A few restaurants are in walking distance and its a short drive to St Jean and Gustavia.

New York
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few days in St Barths

mamiesgirl,

Thank your for all the great information that you gave me. I looked into the Guanahani hotel and loved it. However it appears that they require at least a 3 night minimum stay. It appears that I will have to reconsider my plans and then stay in St Martin for the first 4 nights and then stay in St Barths for the remaining 3 nights and then fly back to NY from ST Barths via SXM on the saturday. IT does seem like it will be a long day for my little one but I think this is the best option. I thank you once again and appreciate your assistance tremendously.

T R
Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few days in St Barths

I don't think you cannot take the St Bart Commuter to From SXM to SBH. We just booked our tickets. We fly to SXM, we spend the night and then the next day we take the St Barth Commuter that leaves at 1:15p.m. If this was not the case I would assume they would have called us by now and let us know otherwise...In fact you will have a connecting flight on your way back to SXM...Good luck!

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few days in St Barths

trip1212

check your tickets or reservation.

Saint Barth commuter does not have a check-in desk in the main hall of SXM. There only desk is inside the secure zone. I.e. you can't get to it unless you are transiting. Here is what may be going on with you:

1- Your Saint Martin to Saint Barth flight the next day is out of l'esperance airport in Grande Case, not Juliana( SXM). Saint Barth commuter also flies from there.

2- Your Saint BArth Commuter flight is indeed out of Juliana. Perhaps Saint Barth commuter expects you to check on the first day, as you come of your US to SXM flight, while you are still inside the secure zone. Perhaps you can pick up your boarding pass there for the following day.

3- Your tickets are in fact on another airline (i.e. Winair) which does have a check in desk at SXM in the main hall, outside the secure zone.

Please make sure to check to avoid mishap.

T R
Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few days in St Barths

/mmmmpppp

Thank you! As soon as you get to SXM you can ask someone to call an agent from SBC. You have to pay $35 / person in order to fly out of SXM. However, we called them and they actually put us on the flight from Grand Case to avoid the fee.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few days in St Barths

Just curious how you did this? When I go on St Barth Commuter's site, it will NOT allow me to book from PJIA to SBH without a connecting flight. I have never heard of this happening before and am wondering how it could be an option to pay $35. As noted above, they don't even had a check in area outside the security.