We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can some one define "expensive"

NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Can some one define "expensive"

From the way people talk on these boards, it makes it sound like a good steak in St Barths is going to cost $200. Can some one please give me a guage for what is meant by expensive. I am coming from NYC where a good dinner can be around $150, no questions asked. Is it so expensive in St Barths that botteld water is $10 a bottle and a six pack of beer is $15. Please explain as I am unsure of others idea of what "expensive" is....

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can some one define "expensive"

If you live in NYC then you will find the restaurant /drink prices comparable in SBH. There are many dining options to be had (over 80 restaurants on the island) and a wide price range...that being said, nothing is truly "cheap." And there are certainly restaurants where you can easliy spend $300-400 on dinner for 2. But there are also great places that will be in the $100-200 range. And some fun places that will cost under $100, depending on how much you drink!

Because the island is small, part of the fun is scoping out places to eat (many display menus outside and the magazine "Tables" is available at the airport with many menus) and deciding where to eat that evening.

Bottled water and beer/wine/liquor are available at the various small markets on the island for reasonable prices.

One factor currently contributing to higher prices in SBH is the unfavorable exchange rate. B/C there is no direct flight to SBH it cost more to get there than SXM, US VIs, etc. Finally, car rental is a must to get to the best beaches and many restaurants. That adds to the cost.

We find our SBH vacation to be comparable to what we spend (average daily cost) to the various other places we travel. We stay in villas, get breakfast and lunch from a local bakery and/or market and splurge on dinner.

Hope this helps!

Chicago...
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can some one define "expensive"

A good dinner will run $150 - $200, with a few glasses of wine.

I really did not pay attention to the cost of water or beer -- it was nothing out of the ordinary for a luxury hotel.

Expensive, but not shockingly expensive if you are used to upscale food and accomodations.

Most St. Bart places run about the same as a 3 star restaurant in Chicago. The food, with one exception (K'fe Massai --a total pit) was worthy of the prices. I would be happy to pay those same prices anywhere else if I could get that same quality of food.

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can some one define "expensive"

Ooooh, DL, so sorry to hear your bad "review" of K'Fe Massai, we had the most wonderful and memorable meal there in February!

Perhaps a bad night.

Binti

Chicago...
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can some one define "expensive"

Our k'Fe Massai meal was absolute misery.

Our waiter either didn't know the menu or just didn't care (rude).

The food was poor quality.

The table (we were stuck in the back) was miserable.

We actually wondered if it was because we are Americans (that would explain the service but not the food).

St. Bart has some amazing places. That was the only bad meal that we had.