We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to fly to St. Barts

new york
11 posts
Save Topic
Best way to fly to St. Barts

We've been to St. Martin many times but never made it to St. Barts. Since I got seasick going to Anguilla I figured we'd fly. I need help figuring it all out. Tradewinds or Winnair or ? There are five of us. Is it a lot more expensive to book a private charter? We will have a lot of luggage. Is that usually a problem?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
623 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to fly to St. Barts

Tradewinds fly from San Juan.

From St. Martin-is this a trip while staying on St. Martin ?

If you are flying from the US straight through I would fly WinAir because they have more options. Though flying back I would fly St. Barth's Commuter.

If flying while staying on St. Martin-I would fly St. Barth's Commuter from the Grand Case airport.

I think everyone agrees that St. Barth's Commuter is great and friendly.

Have a great trip.

Mequon, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
266 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to fly to St. Barts

St. Barth Commuter flights from SXM are 70 euro a person, from Grand Case 65 euros per person one way. A charter is 900 euro high season/800 low season.

As for luggage, each passenger is limited to 20 kg of baggage plus 10 kg in the cabin. If it's in the cabin though, it has to be very small. So each passenger would have a limit of 66 pounds of luggage. No piece of luggage can be larger than 80 x 60 x 35 cm or 31 x 23 x 13" (height x length x width).

We try only to fly SBC or Tradewinds.

Good luck!

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to fly to St. Barts

Tradewinds do not fly from St Maarten......

If you are already on St Maarten then I agree with ackbyrd that the best way to get to St Barths is from Grand Case with SBC.

The private charter is a good option if you do have a lot of luggage, or if you want to travel at a particular time and find the existing schedules inconvenient

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
214 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to fly to St. Barts

I just posted the following on the St. Martin forum...

Hi - we are traveling to St. Martin and then to St. Barts this winter.

We have travelled Winair on other islands and they are a great airline.

However, we just booked St. Barth commuter from Grand Case for a couple of reasons..

We are staying on St. Martin first for a week and flying to St. Bart and Grand Case is closer to our villa.

Grand Case is much smaller and less hassle that Juliana.

The cost from/to Grand Case is MUCH cheaper mainly due to there being less surcharges and airport fees at Grand Case - the airlines have no control over the airport charges.

The cost on St. Barths air is actually a bit cheaper than the ferry - and I would certainly fly over taking the ferry.

Note - we are flying from Grand Case to St. Barts and on the return from St. Barts into Juliana on St. Barths air - the return flight is only $10 euros more because the airport on St. Barts does not have the same fees as Juliana.

I read in other posts, that Winair planes are about twice the size (20 seats) versus St. Barths (9 seats). So, that may matter to some, but we love those smaller planes.

If the times work for you and Grade Case is not too far away, I would look into St. Barths air to save money and hassle.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to fly to St. Barts

We've traveled to St Barths via St Martin several times. The first couple of times we flew Winair, but just tried St Barth Commuter during our last trip. The SBC flights were a bit smaller and less frequent than the Winair flights, but were definitely nicer. We will be flying SBC from now on.

FYI - The SBC flights do have 9 seats as Looneyman mentioned. One of the 9 seats is actually the copilot seat, which makes for a really fun flight if you get chosen to sit there.

On our first trip to St Barth, it was very windy on the way there, so Winair cancelled their flights that day. We ended up taking the ferry (otherwise known as the vomit comet), and it certainly lived up to its nickname. We've taken the 30 minute ferry to Anguilla before, and we didn't think that was too bad. The St Barth ferry was only 15 minutes longer, so we didn't think it would be too much worse. It was DEFINITELY worse. There were huge swells making the boat sway constantly, and causing a bunch of people to get sick. If you do have to take it, make sure you take some dramamine.

6. Re: Best way to fly to St. Barts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 05:17