We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I can understand why!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
77 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
I can understand why!

I can understand why people love this island so much and really it's more than the beautiful beaches, great food ,and beautiful people, but I think the one main reason could be that this doesn't feel like any other Caribbean island. Yes, there are many island with great beaches, great food, beautiful people but one thing that most of them lack is the feel that you are in a cosmopolitan city! You have this chic feel like you really are in the South of France with upscale shopping,small specialty shops, and Mega yachts all over the place! We really loved it !

When would you say would be the best time to come and really take in everything this lovely place has to offer? I am thinking about canceling my trip to Anguilla in May _ early June and coming back here.

PaSha St Barth
Gift & Speciality Shops
Kalinas & Tainos
Art Galleries, Gift & Speciality Shops
Pati de St Barth
Gift & Speciality Shops
Sea Spice
Gift & Speciality Shops
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I can understand why!

We have visited in both high season (January/February) and low (November, sometimes considered "shoulder" because it's right before the high season rate hike.) Both are great, in fact, there's not much difference between the two. Another time during low season that can have a nice buzz is mid April to May, right when villa rates drop for low season. True low season is summer through October, corresponding with hurricane season. I would avoid the island in September/October because much is closed. Many residents take their own vacations at that time, often traveling back to France.

If you're loving it at its most crowded, busy and expensive, I'm guessing you'll love it any time!

Edited: 02 January 2014, 01:55
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
77 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I can understand why!

Reading this forum has been helpful and we def. want to stay in a Villa next time and bring our son with his girlfriend. They will love it ! I didn't realize how inexpensive some of the 2 bedroom villa can be in May-June. We can def. have a family trip on this great island for maybe as much as Anguilla. We always stay in hotels and that adds up quick paying for 2 rooms and all meals in euros can be crazy. We like to enjoy ourselves when on holiday so , we go a little nuts and staying in a Villa would help so much. Renting a car is other thing. Cabs here are expensive but a must if we aren't staying in a resort.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
537 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I can understand why!

Knicpo,

I agree with the South of France vibe of St Barths being one of the reasons why it is different to other islands in the region, and IMHO, there is no bad time to visit St Barths ( except perhaps between Christmas and New Year ! )

Whilst mamiesgirl is right that in September a lot of places are closed ie nearly all the expensive restaurants and hotels, there are still enough places open - the locals have to eat ! The beaches are empty, the water is warm and parking is easy !

I also like visiting in July. Pricewise it is still the low season, it is not too crowded and just about everywhere is open.

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: I can understand why!

If you like the vibe of St. Barth's 'in season', it is very different June through October when there are few people around.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I can understand why!

Hi Knicpo,

You are right to ask when it is best to come to St Barts. I own a house there and I've been coming to the island for the last 15 years.

IMHO, here is what the year is like in St Barts

- Mid-December to Mid-January : Very high season, crazily rich people partying, mega yachts. Coldest time of the year.

- Mid-January to Mid-April: quieter, but all the fun places are still there, easier to park. Warmer. Some very busy week like during the Bucket regatta (is you like sail boats, this is an amazing time)

- Mid-April to late June: real quiet, all stores still open. Great time to get nice deals on villa rentals

- July: very slow action. Warmer weather

- August: the French and Italians are in town, warmest time of the year, nightlife is back

- Sept and October: hurricane season, stores and restaurants close

- Mid-November / Thanksgiving: beginning of the season, great time to be there when New York id getting chillier

Hope it helps,

Voilà,

Thibault

NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I can understand why!

I agree with Thibaul's assessment. I also own a place there. I personally like the quieter times as very high season can get a bit over the top, noisy and somewhat tacky.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
537 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I can understand why!

Just be aware the hurricane season is from June to November.

Also, in Sept/Oct there are still plenty of stores and restaurants open, it is mostly the high-end/tourist ones which close. I was there this September and thought it was great.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
77 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I can understand why!

I think we would love it here anytime! We are in Anguilla now and are really missing the lively and cosmopolitan island of St. Bart's ! We are considering coming back in the end of May for a week . We have reservation on Anguilla for 2 weeks but we will def do one and one and This time we want to stay in a Villa! We really fell in love with St. Bart's ! This is our 2nd trip last time we stay at Eden Rock in June and had a great time. This time it was at Isle de France which we liked a bit better but both were nice! Anguilla is a beautiful island but doesn't have the feel we want. The beaches are very nice but it's missing a lot! The Anguilla forum was hyping up the great dinning option and we only had one great meal at Jacala, everything else is just ok , but the beaches are among the best. Can't wait to come back.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
537 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I can understand why!

Hello Knicpo

I sympathise with your views on the Anguilla forum. Whilst the restaurants are pretty good, I don't find most of them as good as all the gushing praise on that forum, and certainly not always good value for money. I have found plenty of reasonable, lower cost options though ( especially as I prefer to eat lunches instead of dinners ) and only splash out once or twice during my visits. From the comments on the Anguilla forum, the food in the US must be appalling ! ( And I know it isn't.....)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
77 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I can understand why!

I should have analyze the comments a bit better! Most are from Maryland , Pennsylvania , and the Midwest which aren't know for their culinary savvy ! I really don't mine paying for a great meal but you are right about the value , it's just not there! When you come directly from St.Barts , Anguilla feels like you are in the back woods or some giant campground with dirt roads and poverty visible everywhere!