We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Jean Villa Question

Westchester, NY
Level Contributor
53 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
St. Jean Villa Question

Hey everyone... how much of a premium do you put on having a villa that is directly on St. Jean Beach compared to one that is either a 15 minute uphill walk or a 5 minute drive?

Clearly, for the price, one can get a nicer villa that's a few minutes away, but I'm thinking that being on the beach would be much more beneficial...

It would be interesting from all of you esteemed reviewers! Thx in advance.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Jean Villa Question

I put zero premium on a villa being on St Jean, or any other beach. I like to be high up to enjoy the view and breezes. We go to St Jean Beach a few times each trip, but also go to many other favorites like Colombier, Flamands, Saline and Gouverneur. Unless you are only going to one beach your whole trip (and if you're doing that, save some bucks and go to an all-inclusive or resort only island) then choose a villa based upon amenities you want like view, pool, etc.

Westchester, NY
Level Contributor
53 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Jean Villa Question

Mamiesgirl - that's a fair response, thank you.

While I know Gouverneur and Saline have ample parking, the same is perhaps not as true for St. Jean and since we'll be there for 2 weeks, and a majority of our daytime will be spent at Nikki or Tom, I was trying to be picky about location. But your point about the views is certainly understood.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Jean Villa Question

There is a relatively new parking lot right across from Tom Beach. We were there in January/February and had zero issues parking at any of the beaches. Love Nikki and Tom Beach but we usually hit 2 per day so staying near one is not really necessary for us. My DH especially likes a pool, so the hills, view, no bugs for us.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Jean Villa Question

Mamiesgirl is right, there is zero premium for being on the beach. In fact, there aren't very many villas built right on the beach. The desired location for most people is high in the hills with panoramic views and lovely breezes. I have stayed at two beach villas over the years and wouldn't do it again. The lack of privacy, the sand flies, critters and for me the constant sounds make it an unattractive proposition.

The new parking lot in St Jean has ample parking.

Westchester, NY
Level Contributor
53 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Jean Villa Question

OK... well, the feedback from both of you has been very helpful and it seems we can now broaden our villa search.

How about one more easy question... Tom Beach/Esmeraude vs. a Villa in St. Jean?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Jean Villa Question

A villa is always the most private choice but the St Jean hillside is very congested and it's hard to find a lot of privacy or quiet. There are however, lots of villas still considered to be in St Jean, not on the hillside that are lovely, private and quiet.

I just toured the rooms at TB. They're so pretty and restful. But they are quite dark with little natural light as they're all interior rooms, not beach view. Also, it's important to keep in mind there will be lots of noise from La Plage most evenings as they have a DJ. Emeraude Plage will be quieter and the rooms are very bright.

If you want to stay at a hotel on the beach, I prefer Isle de France. But I am a villa girl.

Edited: 07 March 2014, 16:57
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Jean Villa Question

Agree with Gayle, and to pile on...no need to be in St Jean either. The entire island is 8 square miles so pick a villa that you like in your price range and drive/park to whatever beach(es) you are visiting that day.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Jean Villa Question

Different people have different preferences !

Personally, I look forward to being able to being able to walk from my room direct to the beach/sea and also being able to walk to bars/restaurants without having to worry about drink/driving. I'd much rather have this than a stunning view from a hilltop and have to drive everywhere.

So the advantage of being close to St Jean Beach is that you can walk to the shops, bars/restaurants, supermarket and the beach. I like to be able to walk from my room and have a swim before breakfast, after which we would drive to one of the other beaches, have lunch somewhere on the island other than St Jean and get back to our room before another swim in St Jean Bay before sunset.

Perhaps you could take a look at Les Ilets de la Plage, Emmeraude Plage or even Le Village St Jean ( although the walk back up the hill can be a bit daunting after a tiring day if staying at Le Village ! )

So ultimately Rufus100, it all depends on what is important to you !

Westchester, NY
Level Contributor
53 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Jean Villa Question

Thank you fatbear2000, that's along the lines I was thinking, but it's good to know everyone's opinion.

T R
Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Jean Villa Question

Hello there! Save your money! St Barths is amazing and you'd want to make sure you enjoy it! You will not go to St Jean beach everyday anyway because there are so many other gorgeous beaches to choose from...Have a great vacation! I can't wait for mine in June:)