We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Mosquitos

I am travelling to St. Barts tomorrow, staying at a villa on Lorient Beach.

Does anyone have any updated information on the mosquito issue and if they are a concern around Lorient Beach. My wife is very susceptible to bites.

Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
145 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos

It's the tropics. Mosquitos exist there all the time. The best defense is a good offense. Be sure your wife (and you) sprays at dawn, morning, dusk and evening, when the little biters are at their worst. During the day in sunshine they're not around. Keep your bedroom door closed at all times. Wear light coloured clothing. Don't wear perfume.

An excellent mosquito repellant is available in every drugstore on St Barths and comes in different strengths. Buy the highest strength. It even smells nice. Better than anything I've ever used in the US or Canada. As soon as you get to the island, right across the street from the airport is a drugstore where you can stock up right away.

Have a great time!

Edited: 19 June 2014, 19:31
Atlanta,GA
Level Contributor
207 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos

Agree, with the previous poster regarding repellants but a few things you can do to mitigate skeeters----note the tiny day biters are the ones to worry about---mostly dawn/dusk.

1) pick accommodation that is higher, since there is usually with a breeze and they are weak flyers.

2) ask if it has screens, since most do not.

3) ask if the place or neighborhood is sprayed on a regular basis, some contract for regular spraying.

4) when you arrive, check things like gutters or other breeding places to see if they are clean. If not ,inform the manager.

Since hubby is a magnet for skeeters and I work in a medical clinic where we can see these types of infections after patients return from Caribbean (most assume they have the flu), we stay in a screened hillside villa, which is flawlessly maintained and sprayed on a regular basis.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 23:29
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
487 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos

I've hardly noticed any mosquitos in the week I have been on the island. Fingers crossed for the rest of our stay !

I normally get bitten quite a lot but I have not been bitten once so far, and I've not really been taking any extra precautions.

I noticed in today's Le News St Barths though, the expectation is for a higher risk of mosquitos in September ( the risk is apparently higher in the rainy season ) so 52 extra staff have been hired across Guadeloupe, Martinique and St Barths to visit and advise on precautions to take. This is aimed mostly at people living in cottages & villas

4. Re: Mosquitos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 06:17