We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To ATV, or not to ATV?

Which Gustavia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
1 review
Save Topic
To ATV, or not to ATV?

I will be in St. Barths on a cruise ship stop on Jan 11, 2012. I will be there from approx 9am to 6pm. I am thinking of renting an ATV from St. Barth Adventure for the day. Does anybody have any reasons why I should NOT do this? Would a car rental be cheaper/easier? I do not have experience with ATVs, but I do have experience with motorcycles. Any suggestions on lesser known places that I should try to visit?

11 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
619 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To ATV, or not to ATV?

They scare the beejesus out of me and the roads can be challenging anyway. Depends on what is your comfort zone.

NY
Level Contributor
794 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To ATV, or not to ATV?

I would rent a car if I were you. Roads are very steep and curvy, so there is a reasonable risk of capsizing on an ATV, if you aren' t a pro. And certainly no off-road driving in saint barth. Don't know about ATV prices but I think cars will be the same. Cars in Saint Barth are small jeep so also fun to drive.

If you ask any car rental agency, they will deliver your car by the dock.

Sacramento...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: To ATV, or not to ATV?

Renting an ATV on Saint Barts was the highlight of our trip. The roads are well maintained and traffic is minimal. I hope to do it again!

Edited: 15 November 2015, 06:19
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,840 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To ATV, or not to ATV?

Traffic is minimal...when did you visit, September? Otherwise there is quite a lot of traffic specially in Gustavia and from Gustavia to St. Jean...besides this is a 4 year old thread!

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
6 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To ATV, or not to ATV?

We used a company called Barthloc (www.barthloc.com) and had a blast. My wife and I shared a single ATV, I am not an experienced, but I found the roads very easy. I would recommend you follow the speed limits, and don't do anything foolish, but we found it a very, very pleasant way to see the island,

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: To ATV, or not to ATV?

I've been doing some research on private ATV rental companies, thanks for your recommendation. I would like to ask though about an independent ATV excursion (ferry price, lunch, gas included) with this tour place: lonelyplanet.com/gustavia/…item-v-6910ATV-id - It's roughly $180 US ($265 CDN) for a full 9-hour day per person - more expensive, but yet affordable because all is covered

Would you recommend something like this or was it safe enough to just ride alone and explore on your own terms? I'm slightly worried about leaving my ATV parked and returning to find it stolen!!

Any advice would help. We are leaving to St. Maarten in Jan and only day-tripping to St. Barths.

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: To ATV, or not to ATV?

Sorry that link is: lonelyplanet.com/st-barthelemy/activities/si…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
725 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: To ATV, or not to ATV?

AdaraDee, that tour looks ridiculous. For $180 they put you on a ferry and then put you on an ATV with a map and tell you to drive around the island. From what I read, not much else is included in the price. If there are two of you going, for that price, you could fly over from Grand Case (70 euro each way per person so 280 euro or about $300) and rent a car and drive around the island in much more comfort. IIRC the ferry round trip fare is around $75 so this tour is pretty pricey. Take your time and explore on your own. Plenty of other threads here to look at for ideas.

By the way, that picture of people riding ATVs on the beach was clearly not taken on St Barts as you are not allowed to do that.

Edited: 16 December 2015, 20:39
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To ATV, or not to ATV?

Agree that there is no reason to do this via tour. Also think a car is a better choice, but many day trippers seem to like the ATVs. Plus why would you let a tour operator choose your lunch spot? There are tons of great restaurants on the island and you can eat when/where you want...not just Gustavia.

And to SloppyEats' last comment...the day they allow ATVs on the beaches of SBH is the day I'll be looking for a new Caribbean destination!

NY
Level Contributor
794 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To ATV, or not to ATV?

You will not get your ATV or car stolen. Most people in Saint Barth do not lock doors and leave keys in the car. There is barely any crime. If you were to steal a car, there is nowhere to take it.

Reply to: To ATV, or not to ATV?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gustavia