We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malacca Apartment

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Malacca Apartment

Hello,

I am planning a trip to St. Barts next July and wanted to know if anyone has ever stayed at Malacca Apartment in Gustavia. It is listed under the rentals through St. Barths Commuter.

Would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Malacca Apartment

I've stayed in several villas in Gustavia, it's a terrific location for a "home base", especially the hospital side of the harbor (quieter). You'll never go hungry...or thirsty! B

Washington, DC
5 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Malacca Apartment

Just got back from two weeks in SBH and my partner and I stayed at Malacca Apartment. We liked it - a lot. So much so we booked it for two weeks in late November 2014.

Here's our take on the place in a snapshot: Great price. Great location if you like a Gustavia location. Lovely hosts. Simply and comfortably furnished. Clean. Bug free. Quiet. More below!

Location: If you like a Gustavia location, it can't be beat. On the same side of the harbor as the Wall House (in fact just two short blocks away), one block off the harbor, within two blocks of several restaurants & the Yacht Club, 1/2 a block from my new favorite food take-away place Island Flavors (10 euro plat du jours that are pretty dang tasty). Private off street parking included - although we did have to chase down double-parkers that blocked our exit a couple of times.

Hosts: Lovely, quiet family (husband, wife, son aged 9 or so) who live upstairs. Each apartment has its own private entrance. The hosts respected our privacy but were available for questions or assistance if needed.

Exterior: The pictures on the St Barts commuter website are accurate. You enter the property at the pool level. The pool is good sized for dunking, splashing around and cooling off. There are a couple of comfortable loungers by the pool. Since the family is either at work or school during the day, you pretty much have the pool to yourself. The lot is lushly planted with fruit trees, banana trees and flowering shrubs and is quite pretty. A few steps up from the pool is the covered patio entrance to the apartment. the patio has a dining-sized table with four chairs on it and is deep enough that even on the stormiest day we were able to sit out and have our meals there without getting wet. The view from the patio is of the garden and through the plants a peek-a-boo view of the boat masts and hills across the harbor. Caveat: the island had had a lot of rain recently so the mosquito population was robust. Nothing that a little (ok, maybe a lot) of spraying and OFF couldn't handle. Also used the mosquito coils which seemed to help. There are three sets of sliding door into the apartment: one into the bedroom; one into the living room and one into the kitchen area. There are solid hurricane shutters on each set of doors. We shut the ones to the bedroom to help block out light and sounds. The only noise we heard were typical sounds one might hear in a Gustavia location: occasional light traffic and sounds of residential life around you. Nothing loud and it didn't disturb our rest or sleep in anyway. We used to stay at the Colony Club condominiums up the hill from Bonito and by comparison, the Malacca apartment was much, much quieter.

Interior: Clean, clean, clean. The apartment was entirely renovated about a year ago and is freshly painted and tiled. Four basically but comfortably furnished rooms. Kitchen, living room, bathroom and bedroom. There is an air conditioner in the bedroom that will keep the entire apartment cool - there is also a fan in the living room to help (we moved it out to the patio on warm days while we sat outside). I am somewhat phobic about crawling bugs (read large, tropical cockroaches) and happily we saw none or evidence that they were in residence. Did I mention the place was clean?

Kitchen: small, but fairly well equipped. Good sized refrigerator that kept things nice and cold! Top freezer that we only used for ice. 6 cup Krupps coffee maker. Two slice toaster. Double sink. Full sized gas range (oven and cook top). For US customers, if you are planning on using the oven, the dial is in celsius so plan accordingly and have your fahrenheit to celsius conversion chart handy. The oven does not have a pilot light so you need to light it with the long-handled lighter provided. There are ample plates, bowls, glasses, flatware, etc., for your use - enough for service for four people.

Living Room: Has a two-seater couch, coffee table, flat screen TV with satellite (French) reception. The only English language channel is CNN-International. The TV also gets about 10 different radio stations which includes Radio St Barth. Thankfully no cheesy, beach-themed artwork here. There is wifi internet that worked like a charm and cell phone reception was good.

Bathroom: Small but nicely appointed. Caveat: Large girthed people may find the shower stall a tad confining. In fact, I kept bumping the shower handle with my backside turning the water from hot to cold or visa versa! The water pressure in the apartment is good as was the hot water supply. The host provides two large bath towels, two hand towels and a bath mat. She also provides two beach towels. The towels got replaced twice a week.

Bedroom: Comfortable, queen-sized bed, with nice bed linens. Two bedside tables with lamps on them. A small desk with chair. A large two-drawered chest. The closet wasn't huge but had enough room for both our clothes - it had a hanging rod on one side and shelves on the other. There is a safe in the closet. Closet doors were louvered - helps keep the closet ventilated. There is another storage closet in the bedroom which has a iron & ironing board, a clothes drying rack which we moved out to the patio, and a set of shelves for storage. Again, all was clean and comfortable.

Happy to answer any questions you may have!

Perry

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Malacca Apartment

Hello Perry,

Thank you so much for your review!!! I am happy that it went well for you and that everything was well kept and clean. Now I am looking forward for my vacation next July!! The reason I booked it was the price first and the location. I can park the car and walk around Gustavia during the evening to see all the little shops and maybe go for dinner. I was in St.Barths this past July and I was in Lorient. I didn't drive at night because no street lamps and the curves and hills are too dangerous at night.

Did you deal with a women named Corine when you had to sent money transfers? Now I can put my fears to rest knowing that everything was legitimate and the place really exists....lol

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question.

Louise

Washington, DC
5 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Malacca Apartment

Hi Louise - yes, Corinne is the owner of the property. She is quite nice and the operation is above board and legit. We first visited the property LAST year (Nov 2012) while we were on the island staying somewhere else. I saw the listing before we left Washington and arranged with Corinne to stop by and see the apartment. I was pleased with what I saw and it did put my mind at ease that the place existed, it was nice, and that the hosts were pleasant people. We too like the Gustavia location as the farthest I will drive at night is up to the Santa Fe restaurant in Lurin - no dark, winding, hilly roads for this guy!

Perry

15. Re: Malacca Apartment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 03:16
Get answers to your questions about Gustavia
Recent Conversations