We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does the beach at Guanahani have seagrass in the water? It...

6 posts
Save Topic
Does the beach at Guanahani have seagrass in the water? It...

I will be staying at Guanahani in May. The hotel and grounds seem really pretty but all the pictures of the beach I have seen seem to show a significant amount of seagrass in the water near the shoreline. We had a bad experience of seagrass in Antigua at Curtain Bluff and I was wondering if anyone can comment on the water in front of Guanahani. Thanks alot.

Chicago
Level Contributor
262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does the beach at Guanahani have seagrass in the water? It...

It did 4 years ago when we were there. Remember:

There are many wonderful beaches there and you will travel to them. And, it's not too bad.

Level Contributor
181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does the beach at Guanahani have seagrass in the water? It...

has anyone stayed at the new Le Serano which is at the Grand Cul-de-Sac.

I am trying to decide between this hotel and Il De France which is at another beach area.

Chicago...
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does the beach at Guanahani have seagrass in the water? It...

I haven't stayed the Serrano, but I am a huge fan of Isle de France.

It is a beautiful small property (about 35 rooms) on a great beach. It is approximately a five minute drive to St. Jean, but with the hills/mountains, it seems much farther (we guessed 20 minutes the one time we timed it. It actually took us 7 minutes). The restaurant is one of the best on the island. The spa is also pretty incredible.

The restaurant to the hotel next door is also very good and is a real value. For an amazing experience, walk along the beach after dark to dinner there. Walking there and back we were the only people on the beach. Just incredible.

Chicago, IL
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Does the beach at Guanahani have seagrass in the water? It...

There is indeed sea grass at Grand Cul de Sac. It is not unpleasant, however. This is a protected area (both as a marine reserve and because the reefs break the surf much farther out). It is a natural hatching area for small fish. If you stay at the Guanahani, there is also another beach right behind it that is great for swimming and snorkeling. Grand Cul de Sac is beautiful to look at and a great place for kayaking, kiteboarding and windsurfing. The best scuba diving is around the general vicinity, as well. Ouanalao Dive is a great operation, right on the beach at Grand Cul de Sac.

As other posters have mentioned, a fun thing to do in St. Barts is to go to different beaches. I love Flamands but everyone has their own favorite. A word of advice - bring a beach umbrella, hat, major sunblock and water with you. The sun is pretty intense.

5. Re: Does the beach at Guanahani have seagrass in the water? It...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 18:16
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cul-de-Sac