We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female solo travel - st barts VS Mustique

ny
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
Female solo travel - st barts VS Mustique

Hello,

I was looking into travelling as a single female for R&R at the end of the month for 5 or 6 days. After reading about St Barths and learning how extremely safe the island is as well the accessibilty from St Marten via a boat rather than having to bear puddle jumper plane, I decided to go that route. I am travelling alone and are on the young side, and basically looking for relaxtion, a beautiful beach and somewhere that I can get away without renting a car. Since I am not finding so much availability in terms of accomodations in St Barts (could anyone suggest a place where a young single girl will not feel awkard staying alone?) decided to take a look at Mustique on tripadvisor. Also I will be there right before the high season, around Thanksgiving, and I am now getting a feeling that ST Barths may not be exactly what I am looking for if everyone will be in a somewhat glitzy, party mode? Do not mind having a few drinks in the evening, but do not want to feel awkard or stand out being alone which can happen in certain atmostpheres!!

In regards to Mustique, after looking at it from pictures, thought it more resembled what I was looking for - especially the cotton house. Thought the beaches appeared beautiful and looked unhibited. If I would head to mustique, would I defiinetly need a car? Would I be ok alone, a young female? And and most importantly, the Cotton House which I would LOVE to stay is asking 4 figures a night, which I just can't do-Is there any other type of accomodations that would suite me or am I just stuck?? Oh and lastly, if I do head to Mustique from NY, looks like I must ultimately step foot in a puddle jumper; small plane holding very few people which is really not my forte, plus I will be in sheer terror during the ride...unless there is a boat you can take that is not too expensive??

Thanks so much everyone!!

3 replies to this topic
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Female solo travel - st barts VS Mustique

Maybe Harbour Island in the Bahamas? It's a beautiful little island where you can rent a golf cart to get around. It's got nice dining options, a beautiful beach, some shopping, it's safe, friendly, etc.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
623 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Female solo travel - st barts VS Mustique

Harbour Island is a great choice.

I have had trips where I have stayed in either St. Jean or Gustavia on St. Barth's and pretty much stayed there, but to not visit other beaches and some of my fav places for dinner, that would be sad-very sad.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Female solo travel - st barts VS Mustique

There is a ferry to Mustique from St Vincent - 784- 457-1531 - it is about a 2 hour ride.

Reply to: Female solo travel - st barts VS Mustique
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cul-de-Sac