We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Level Contributor
62 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

Thank you to everyone who took the time to post their experiences,reviews and opinions on the Island. It was really helpful for my partner and I in planning our week long vacation in August.

The experience on arrival at UVF was a breeze with hardly any wait with friendly and helpful people that were willing to answer questions we had. We opted for the helicopter transfer to SLU due to time constraints for a planned activity on the evening of arrival. The transfer was thrilling and lasted about 10-15 minutes and the pilot was informative on what we saw along the way.

We were picked up by the gentleman we rented a vehicle from at SLU and driven to the home we were renting in Castries through Airbnb. A beautiful home with exceptional views and a great experience overall.

We drove ourselves to Rodney Bay for our sunset sail and had a relaxing and wonderful sail then proceeded to dinner afterwards. Driving in St. Lucia takes patience and courage in my opinion.We did get into a minor automobile accident, fortunately no one was injured. It was all our fault, took full responsibility and handled all repairs needed on both cars. I must say the Police department in St. Lucia is very understanding and so were the people involved. Needless to say, we had to hire a driver on the second day for the rest of our duration of stay which was quite economical. I must say it was the best decision we made as it allowed us to fully immerse ourselves in vacation mode without a worry or care about safety. Our driver was excellent with the roads, delivered more than expected and felt like family.

We ate all our meals at several restaurants and loved each one for what it offered. I will review each restaurant and activity separately, if interested you can look up the reviews on my profile.

We spent two days in Soufriere, thanks to our driver and what a lovely place with lots to experience. I would advise one to split accommodations because the drive back and forth was tiring and nerve racking especially when done two days in a row.

We also did a day trip to the Grenadines which I will review as well independently.

We spent another day on the North side by Cap Maison and what a different vibe that was. It was much more quiet, laid back with a less crowded beautiful beach.

The last day was spent on the South side where we wished we had actually spent more time at Sandy beach because it was so pristine with hardly anyone on it. Beautiful turquoise water with calm waves.

The gentleman we rented the vehicle from drove us back to UVF for our flight back. We checked in our luggage then headed out to have our last meal close by the airport. Delicious Rotis! The airport was very busy with very loud announcements just about every 5 minutes that I could barely make out what they were saying.

We did not hike the Pitons nor the trail because we had beautiful views of the Pitons just about all over the Island and we did not want to be sore during our vacation. We hiked El Yunque, PR and since then decided not to hike while on vacation.I wished there was a gondola of some sort that would take us up and down the pitons.

Great Island with even greater people, delicious and diverse cuisine and the worst roads I have ever driven on.

I am willing to answer any questions and hopefully be as helpful as this forum was to us.

Edited: 13 September 2017, 16:42
19 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
333 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

We are thinking of going to St. Lucia in February and we always do an air B&B when ever we travel. Can you please tell me and send me link of the air B&B you used. Did you feel safe there. I am a bit concern about reports of unsafe conditions in St. Lucia.

Thanks so much

Joan

Level Contributor
62 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Hello Joan,

You are welcome. We felt safe through out our stay at our Airbnb which I have private messaged you the link. As far as safety on the Island we had read about as you have and were careful about where we went and what we had on us. Our Airbnb host also warned us about being careful with exposing jewelry or cameras. I must say having a local driver made us feel even safer because he knew where to go and if an area was unsafe he warned us about what not to do. He also took us to certain locations considered local spots that we would have never known existed nor experienced if it wasn't for him.The only place we felt a need for heightened security was at a club called Verve where we spent about an hour late night on a Sunday night, lots of fun but it was really crowded. Having said that we kept all our jewelry on and our phones and cameras and never had an issue as far as safety is concerned.

Boston...
Level Contributor
333 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

Thank you

Stony Brook, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Would appreciate restaurant reviews, beach recommendations, and whether you used water taxis or boat excursions. Also what might the cost be for taxi service all week instead of renting vehicle? Thanks for your post.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Forkaisers - you might want to ask your villa owner the question on the driver. For instance, our driver (we are located in Soufriere) charges $100 US per day for up to four people if you hire him for at least a few days. A "day" is from whenever you want to leave in the morning to when you get back for the last time at night.

Other drivers may charge different rates. And how that compares to a rental vehicle is really dependent on how many days you use the driver service compared to how many days you rent; when you travel (higher rental rates in the high season), and how large a vehicle you need (the larger vehicles get expensive and are more difficult to manage on the narrow St Lucian roads)

Stony Brook, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

Thank you for the additional information

Edited: 26 September 2017, 16:20
Level Contributor
62 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

forkaisers- Apologies for my late response. Our driver charged us $50 a day. Our days normally started around 8AM and ended whenever we felt like it. The earliest we went back to our Airbnb was 10PM and the latest was 3AM. We never needed to utilize a water taxi the entire trip and as far as restaurants, boat excursions and beaches, I have reviewed several and if you don't mind, please look up my reviews on my profile for more information. If you can't see them, feel free to PM me and I will send you links to all my reviews.

Thank you.

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report

Heading to St. Lucia on Thursday. We have ground transportation from airport to our resort (Royal St. Lucia) but keep hearing that helicopter is the way to go. I find the thought terrifying. Did you have any such hesitation or are you a seasoned adventurer? Thank you!

Level Contributor
62 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report

The helicopter experience was my second and I will say that my first experience was more terrifying than my second. What I enjoyed most about our St. Lucia helicopter transfer was that it took less than 15 minutes and we mostly opted for it as we had a susnset sail on our arrival day that we didn’t want to miss incase of traffic on the road.

I don’t know if helicopter rides will stop being terrifying to me but, it does get a little better the more you do it.

Enjoy your St. Lucia, it is a wonderful Island.

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report

Thank you for your helpful reply. The sunset sail sounds lovely.

Reply to: Trip Report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Lucia
Recent Conversations