We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sugar Beach snorkeling

5 posts
Sugar Beach snorkeling

Hey all,

My wife and I will be in St Lucia next week and we're hoping to do some snorkeling at Sugar Beach. However, we will be staying at a different all-inclusive resort. Will we be allowed to go snorkeling at The Reef that's just off their Beach if we are not staying at the resort? Also does the resort have any kind of beach lockers or something else that we might be able to lock up our valuables while we are snorkeling?

Thanks for the help!

6 replies to this topic
5 posts
1. Re: Sugar Beach snorkeling

I guess I should have looked at recent posts first beforehand because it looks like my first question was answered in detail on another thread. It also sounds like there may not be any way to secure our things while we're snorkeling. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or is sugar beach safe enough that we shouldn't worry?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Sugar Beach snorkeling

I have small waterproof boxes that hold the car keys and some cash and a credit card. I clip the box to my bathing suit. They cost $10 or less from Amazon. The brand is Witz. Be sure to check the sizes - the smallest one only holds a credit card or two and some folding money, and is not big enough for the car key with the fob.

Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Sugar Beach snorkeling

Usually you can leave a towel, backpack, etc. on the beach while you are snorkeling and not have any problems with anyone messing with your stuff. Just going on experience we’ve done this for about ten years and have never had a single experience of anyone taking anything. I’ve also never heard of anyone else losing anything. And we sort of live at the beaches!

That being said I wouldn’t carry a bunch of electronics, cash, or credit cards or expensive jewelry when I’m out snorkeling or going out for an ocean shower. I’d lock up those goodies in the car.

As you probably noticed by looking around online, you can snorkel at any beach you like. The stretches of reef are smaller physically at the few resorts than what you’ll find elsewhere but the resorts do have facilities. The resorts also get much more crowded because of all that boat traffic that comes in. The resorts don’t own the reefs; Mother Nature does that.

5 posts
4. Re: Sugar Beach snorkeling

Thanks everyone!

CT
Level Contributor
404 posts
95 reviews
5. Re: Sugar Beach snorkeling

Some of the best snorkeling we found is off to the left of Sugar Beach in Freedom Bay, We also loved snorkeling over at Anse Chastenet &(sorry about the spelling) from the end of the beach to the dock near Jungle Bar. Have lunch at the Jungle Bar and continue snorkeling to the right.

We found the roped in areas at Sugar Beach to be of interest, but the roped in area at Anse Chastenet was not worth the time.

Hope this helps. You can hire a boat to take you to some great snorkeling spots. Worth every penny.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
6. Re: Sugar Beach snorkeling

Bon jou Guthrey C,

Best snorkeling on the wild Marine Reserve reefs at Saint Lucia’s most beautiful undeveloped beach Yukahu Bay (aka Anse L’Ivrogne) located within The Pitons World Heritage Site.

Carib-Brigand owned & operated facilities on site for your total comfort...

Bless up! Paul

Reply to: Sugar Beach snorkeling
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted