We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to soufrieremark

west. pennsylvania
Level Contributor
308 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
to soufrieremark

mark, we have found your fewposts to be very informative. we are heading this aug to soufriere for 10 days (1st timers) and tentatively staying at hummingbird. have made some notes about your rental vehicle person. any info you can share on interesting off-the-beaten-path places and/or guides to get us there would be appreciated. we are seasoned carrib. travellers and enjoy cultural aspects of the islands. note: as pittsburghers too, we were wondering if there are telly poles and should we pack our tennies? jim and joan

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: to soufrieremark

Good choice with the Hummingbird. Have a fabulous time.

11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: to soufrieremark

Hi there,

I am glad to know that you have chosen St Lucia for your next Carib experience.There are not many 'cultural' experiences to be had on the island.Maybe the library in Castries!! This is not Barbadous.The laid back 'island life' is very much intact in St Lucia. Derik Walcott Square is just across the street from the library but it will probably be closed.They pretty much only open it for Jazz and a few town events.

The culture of St Lucia is its people.And the best way to experience the karma is in Soufriere.The Hummingbird is an excellent choise for location and value.You my not want to swim in the water, for the river meets the sea near there and it kind of cleanzes the town,if you know what I mean.If you are walking,the town is very accessable,so is the Botanical Gardens,waterfall,volcano, and the few restaurants that there are.That might be fine for a few days,but I think you want more.

In your hotel room or near the entrance,you will find a glossy magazine called The Tropical Traveler.Most of the places to see and do are all advertised in there.So will most of your questions be answered.You are going during the slow season so you will not have any problems with accomadations or attending any of the places to see.Unless they are closed.

Staying at the Hummingbird,you are at the road the leads to Anse Chastenet,about 2 mile walk.Best beach in Soufriere. I would go there for my swims and snorkel.Good bar and a nice lunch buffet.A bit pricey tho.Beach is free.Thet also have a tennis court.

If you do get mobil,try a few nights at La Haut.Or maybe the Mago Inn,both up Soufriere hill with million dollar views.

Theres lots of island to see and 10 days will not be enough .as you will find out.

But there is always next year!!!!

Cheers,

Mark

michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: to soufrieremark

My 9 year old son and I would like you to know a few things about the Hummingbird.

My son's version:

Horrible place do not stay! First too many bugs get in because not all the rooms have screens, our room off the kitchen with the shared bathroom (nasty) did not have screens. The room was way too small and had mosquito netting over the bed. The worst part was the food that they served. It was horrible and it took to long to get. He dictated this to me so we were not in voilation of the 13 year to post rule!

Here is my take on the Hummingbird:

1. Staff is nice

2. View is stunning. Pitons are stunning. Beach at Hummingbird has the lousy volcanic sand and a lot of broken glass. Taxi to the Jalousie beach--it is the BEST beach in St. Lucia. Don't go barefoot on the Hummingbird beach!

3. Locals are most annoying. Once you hit the airport and taxi to your destination, you cab driver will relay the "new arrivals" to all their cousins who all happen to sell lava bead necklaces on the Hummingbird beach. They go for $8 in the store so don't pay an EC more for them. They also break very easily. We found it's best to buy the stupid necklace and wear them so they can't hound you to buy them. At other places of interest, they will sell you mahogany necklaces, et al.

4. Good drinks from the Hummingbird restaurant bar. Plan on receiving the drink 20 minutes after you order it--life is s l o w e r in St. Lucia.

5. The service is exceptionally slow at the Hummingbird. My husband ordered steak and it was leather like. Not only was the restaurant slow the food was not good and overpriced. They had very few breakfast cereals and seemed to not have any muffins on any of the mornings were were there. I can't figure out what type of jelly was served with the toast--I truly think it was some type of prune based--could be used to hang wall paper. Coffee was STRONG and the milk/cream was beige colored.

6. Our room was a dump, plain and simple it was a dump. The small lizards were in the room as we were off the kitchen and could hear every pot and pan and curry smells permeated our clothes. This was rustic and luckily we were only scheduled there for two days. Had it been a minute longer, I would have gone home.

7. When I think of Soufriere, I now think third word country. A mule was getting a bath in the beach by the Hummingbird. There is garbage strewn in the drainage ditches all over the city. We woke to the roosters crowing I AM NOT KIDDING! There are chickens and roosters all over the beach. I wanted to go to Mass but the locals are so aggressive in selling there stuff, I refused to go back. I can handle the the animals, I can handle dirt I love new things but the locals are way too pushy. There are packs of wild dogs everywhere. There is a moldy cement wall outside of the Hummingbird that leads you to Soufriere. On the other side of the wall is a cemetary. There were dogs running all over the crumbling crypts--I swear they were going to dig up a human bone.

In summary, the view is lovely at the Hummingbird. The pool is okay and the landscape are pretty. I would not go back even if it was free. Maybe some of the accomodations have screens on the windows, but the shared bathroom with the PVC pipe toilet handle was too much to bare. You get what you pay for.