We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shipping rum back to the States. How easy/difficult?

South Carolina
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Shipping rum back to the States. How easy/difficult?

I know there is plenty of cheap rum to be purchased in St. Lucia, and I intend on picking some up for friends and family.

What is the best method of getting it back to the U.S.?

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
771 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shipping rum back to the States. How easy/difficult?

Bring along some bubble wrap -- pack it in your suitcase -- towards the middle amongst clothes -- be sure to put in a zip lock bag just in case (bring along some zip locks too). And watch the weight -- it's now a 50 lb maximum and that's easy to reach.

Or if you have tons of money, you can fed ex it!!!

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shipping rum back to the States. How easy/difficult?

Two other options I can think of:

- buy it at "Duty Free" on your way home. Decent price, prepackaged, easiest to get through customs.

- check out prices at your local liquor store for various Caribbean rums. I'll guess that they'll be within $5 of the price you'll pay in the islands. So you could always buy it here & save your time and effort and avoid the risk of breakage!

I always get a kick out of folks struggling to carry boxes of Baccardi Rum through the airport, storing it in the overhead, then carrying it everywhere, all for a buck savings over Walgreens/CVS prices! Same goes for perfume, jewelry, etc.

Whatever gets you buzzed,

SeaBass

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
771 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shipping rum back to the States. How easy/difficult?

Just don't forget that you can carry it on if you buy duty free ---- however, what we ran into coming from italy anyway, was that once we got to the US and claimed our luggage to go through customs, we had to stuff our "duty free wine" into our checked luggage. Doesn't make sense to me, but that was how it was. If you are flying directly home,. it's no problem. I would assume it's the same from the Caribbean.

Look for some different rums like their "Nuts and Rum" -- or spiced rum. Those are worth buying.

dallas, TX
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shipping rum back to the States. How easy/difficult?

I read this thread before we left S. Lucia and it was helpful, I wish I had read it much sooner. Unfortunately, at the Southern airport they are completely out of Bounty Rum and won't be getting anymore anytime soon. So we were better off bringing bubble wrap and getting it locally before we got the airport.

Also with the no liquid thing in the U.S. you have to put the rum box in your checked luggage and not your carry on when you get it for customs upon arrival into the U.S. It has to go through in your checked luggage within the U.S. until you get to your final destination. Very different from the days of bringing back a case of great wine as a carry on from a trip to Napa.

I thought it was a real pain and it would have been easier to have packed it up in my checked luggage to begin with.

5. Re: Shipping rum back to the States. How easy/difficult?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 05:25
Get answers to your questions about St. Lucia