We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living and Working in St. Lucia ... Sounds like a Dream come

Chicago
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Topic
Living and Working in St. Lucia ... Sounds like a Dream come

My best frind is a finialist candidate for a job in St. Lucia. He is an American and plans on moving there with his wife and small children ages 5 & 9.

I am looking for any informaton about Americans living and working full time in St. Lucia.

Does anyone know about housing, shopping, and schools? How do the schools differ from those in America as far as curriculum and any other differences? What are some of the differences in general? Do many Americans work there and if so, do they generally tend to live in the same neighbothoods/areas?

Where can I go to find more information about this? Please point me in the right direction.

Thank you so much for any information you can provide.

Sea Island Cotton Shop
Gift & Speciality Shops
La Place Carenage
Gift & Speciality Shops
St. Lucia Rum Shop
Gift & Speciality Shops
Bagshaws
Gift & Speciality Shops
Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Living and Working in St. Lucia ... Sounds like a Dream come

try www.stlucia.org

Chicago
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Living and Working in St. Lucia ... Sounds like a Dream come

Thanks for that link!!!

I am still looking for more info.

Any other ideas/websites?

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Living and Working in St. Lucia ... Sounds like a Dream come

You might look at

www.slucia.com/terra

This is a real estate site.

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
771 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Living and Working in St. Lucia ... Sounds like a Dream come

Look at the local newspapers on line -- www.stluciastar.com. Most ex pats live in the Rodney Bay area. You would find as many or more Europeans as US citizens. Probably more Europeans. Look at real estate sites for ideas on housing -- there are many listed on the stlucia.org site. Local schools are not as good as US ones but there are private schools where most ex pats' children go.

What area of the island are you most interested in -- it might help to know that in order to narrow your searches.

Main differences --- you are living in a third world country. Not everything you are used to having is available to you. In StLucia if you see it and need it, you buy it -- because tomorrow it's gone and there may never be any more. Local food is wonderful -- great veges and fruits, fish -- very fresh. Communication -- telehones, cell, intenet are good - just more expensive. Anything imported is very expensive to buy.

i would suggest you visit the island and not stay in an all inclusive resort -- or any resort for that matter. You don't get a true picture of the island in that type of place. Rent a house or apartment in a local area -- shop -- do non touristy things. Talk to Lucians. I can't imagine moving somewhere -- anywhere -- without doing this first.

5. Re: Living and Working in St. Lucia ... Sounds like a Dream come

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 00:18