We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia Problems

Gillette, Wyoming
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Expedia Problems

I just have to vent a little bit and see if anyone else has had my stroke of bad luck with Expedia. Usually, I love to book my trips through them. It's quick and painless....usually. I booked my honeymoon trip about three months ago through them. We were planning on staying six nights at the Sandals Grande. I was soooo excited as neither of us had ever been out of the States or on much of a big trip. The other day I received an email from Expedia explaining that our flight information had changed. This has happened quite a bit so I wasn't too worried about the small change, usually it was just a few minutes difference. This time, they notified me that Delta Airlines had permanatly cancelled our flight from Atlanta to St. Lucia. I called Expedia immediatly. They didn't know what was going on so they put me through to Delta. Delta told me that there was no alternate flight and that if I wanted to go to St. Lucia, I had to leave the resort 3 days early or stay three days extra. Expedia was unwilling to pay for the extra days, and Delta was unwilling to pay for the inconvenience of the cancelled flight. They couldn't put us on another airline because apparantly they weren't allowed to make up the price difference. So we cancelled the trip altogether and received a refund. The next week we decided to stay at the Sandals Halcyon for seven nights instead. We booked the trip, paid half up front, and all seemed well. We made sure that we got American Airlines and Nothwest. Then today I received another email stating that all flight combinations to St. Lucia from our "local" (2 hours away) airport have been cancelled permanatly. We had to cancel AGAIN. I'm so bummed, and it sounds horrible but I'm curious if this kind of thing has happened to anyone else through Expedia? It wouldn't be too bad if we had gotten some kind of empathy for having to cancel our honeymoon twice. All we have gotten out of the whole ordeal is $100 in Expedia coupons and no honeymoon. Our hearts are still set on St. Lucia and a Sandals resort, but I'm weary about booking another trip and having to drive 8 hours to an International airport and then finding out something is messed up again. Should we try again????

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expedia Problems

Crazy Wy,

I have used Expedia before and have never had a problem of this magnitude, however, I have also found nine times out of ten booking directly with the resort/hotel you are staying gives you better service, the same or less price, and possibly a perk or two. Hotels and resorts these days are in competition with Orbitz, Expedia, and such, so while they may sell some rooms to them, they still court you to book through them. The same goes for flights - you have much more flexibility booking through the carrier.

Book your honeymoon through Sandals. Get a human being on the phone and give them the sob story. Since the place is honeymoon haven it may not get you anywhere, but it never hurts to try. Get your flight through the carrier. Price out the difference - if there is any savings at all, the difference would be worth swallowing for piece of mind.

But then I would put in my own plug that this is the perfect opportunity to ditch the cooperate AI and book with a local resort for the true Lucian experience : )

Whatever you do, best of luck and congrats!

new york city
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Expedia Problems

That sounds horrible. May I ask what was the time frame you booked for your original trip?

I booked our trip in June through Expedia, and so far no problems. Of course, we are flying through American Airlines, so that may be why. If anything, they were more helpful than I thought they'd be because I had to change the days I could go after I booked, and they let me do so with no fee.

Best of luck to you.

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
764 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expedia Problems

I agree with Jaxprat -- check prices with Expedia and such and then book directly. Actually I use kayak.com to look through everyone's prices and then go to the individual website. Often you'll find prices even lower. Definitely call Halcyon is this is how you want to go --- directly. Hope it works out for you. Air is easy for NYC -- not so easy for Wyoming!!

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,424 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expedia Problems

Since I live in Colorado and go to St. Lucia every couple of years, it is not easy to get there from here. My advice is book your air on your own and Sandals through Sandals. You can book through Miami, New York, Charlotte North Carolina for a non-stop flight to UVF. If you want to arrive at the small airport you will have connections. Flights are not offered every day of the week to St. Lucia so if you can be flexible on your dates that helps, too. You might check flights from St. Louis. It takes effort but it is worth it or I would not go back. Prices for Sandals are best through Sandals anyway.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,424 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Expedia Problems

one more idea - go from dallas. you will need to stay overnight at least one direction in dallas but the area hotels are not too expensive. you should get cheap air to dallas then fly AA to st. lucia. if you stay at sandals fly into SLU in st. lucia as it is closer than the other airport. use what would have been your taxi fare from/to the larger airport for your dallas hotel.

good luck - you will LOVE st. lucia and sandals. we were married at sandals halcyon.

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Expedia Problems

Oh, I am so sorry to hear of all the canceled flights, to St.Lucia from your area. I hope you can find something to workout for you.

This really does seem to be more of an airline flight cancellation problem then with who or how you book.

I have to say when it comes to airlines canceling flights, it doesn't matter with who or how you book, you are pretty much at the mercy of what the airline rules and policies are for their cancellations. You may have to look into an (outside source) insurance policy that would cover this type of circumstance. As unfortunate as your case is, being able to collect a full refund including the air without any penalties is really pretty decent.

I'm not even sure if the best (outside source) travel insurance policy, would cover extra days at a hotel/resort when it is a (pre-trip cancellation of an airline) I do believe it would be pretty much the same, to receive a full refund or the option to rebook the 5 nights on alternate dates if applicable.

If you book your flight yourself and booked your room, yourself through Sandals (Unique), and the flights were canceled, the airline cancellation policies would still apply and you would NOT be entitled to ANY compensation/refund from Sandals on the resort portion of your trip, other then per their cancellation rules or if you again, had purchased extra insurance policy on the vacation.

Be careful however you book, to take out some type of insurance. You need to read the policies over for what they actually cover.

Below is a quote from Sandals web site:

"In addition, certain airfares may be non-refundable regardless of time of cancellation. All cancellations or changes to airfares are subject to applicable airline carrier restrictions."

Cancellation Charges on Sandals link:

http://www.sandals.com/general/legal.cfm

Gillette, Wyoming
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Expedia Problems

Thank you all SO much for the great advice, I did use it. I just re-booked again through the airline and the hotel directly. Although there wasn't much of a difference in price (a hundred bucks), it was a lot less hassle, and we only have to drive 6 hours to an airport (Denver Int'l)....which I suppose is better than 8. We actually were able to get our trip on exactly the same days, October 22-30 (it takes 2 days to get there from Wy.) So we're staying from the 23rd through the 29th at the Halcyon. We do have a 25 hour layover in Miami, but I'm sure we can make the best of it. I tried the sob story when I called the Halcyon and nothing really happened, but I'm so glad we can actually go on the same days as we originally planned since we have had those days off from work for 3 months. That and the 22nd is my birthday! Anyone going on those days let us know, & keep an eye out for the pasty white Wyomingites with farmers tans! Oh, and does anyone know if Halcyon has some kind of Honeymoon package? I didn't see one for them, I only saw honeymoon perks for the Grande and I forgot to ask. Thanks again!

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,424 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Expedia Problems

Congratulations!! If you need a hotel in Miami, book the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon - fantastic and has a free shuttle and close to the airport and restaurants and Walgreens, too. I know you'll have a great time.

9. Re: Expedia Problems

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 03:20