I just have to vent a little bit and see if anyone else has had my stroke of bad luck with Expedia. Usually, I love to book my trips through them. It's quick and painless....usually. I booked my honeymoon trip about three months ago through them. We were planning on staying six nights at the Sandals Grande. I was soooo excited as neither of us had ever been out of the States or on much of a big trip. The other day I received an email from Expedia explaining that our flight information had changed. This has happened quite a bit so I wasn't too worried about the small change, usually it was just a few minutes difference. This time, they notified me that Delta Airlines had permanatly cancelled our flight from Atlanta to St. Lucia. I called Expedia immediatly. They didn't know what was going on so they put me through to Delta. Delta told me that there was no alternate flight and that if I wanted to go to St. Lucia, I had to leave the resort 3 days early or stay three days extra. Expedia was unwilling to pay for the extra days, and Delta was unwilling to pay for the inconvenience of the cancelled flight. They couldn't put us on another airline because apparantly they weren't allowed to make up the price difference. So we cancelled the trip altogether and received a refund. The next week we decided to stay at the Sandals Halcyon for seven nights instead. We booked the trip, paid half up front, and all seemed well. We made sure that we got American Airlines and Nothwest. Then today I received another email stating that all flight combinations to St. Lucia from our "local" (2 hours away) airport have been cancelled permanatly. We had to cancel AGAIN. I'm so bummed, and it sounds horrible but I'm curious if this kind of thing has happened to anyone else through Expedia? It wouldn't be too bad if we had gotten some kind of empathy for having to cancel our honeymoon twice. All we have gotten out of the whole ordeal is $100 in Expedia coupons and no honeymoon. Our hearts are still set on St. Lucia and a Sandals resort, but I'm weary about booking another trip and having to drive 8 hours to an International airport and then finding out something is messed up again. Should we try again????