We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fruit safe to eat at market?

Kentucky
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
fruit safe to eat at market?

I LOVE trying the local fruits/vegetables when travelling. Are there any precautions about properly washing the locally grown produce? What is the best to purchase...what to watch out for, etc. Thank you

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
769 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fruit safe to eat at market?

St Lucia is very rich in agriculture and do try it all. It all depends on what season you visit, as to what you might find in the local market. Vendors are happy to tell you what they have -- and what it is!! Just wash it as you would any fruit you'd buy anywhere -- but it's safe! I see from a past posting of yours that you are going in December. You will find citrus in high season -- also some Christmas specialties like golden apple, sorrell. You miss out on mango season tho you might find some still available. Pineapple. Bananas. Salad fixins are in season but where you are staying all inclusive, that won't matter. At Regency you are very close to a shopping mall called Gablewoods. At the far left end of the mall (if you are facing it) there is a shop called Ebenezars where they sell lots of local produce. Look there or for even more, go to market especially on a Friday or Saturday. It's open other days but these are busiest.

new jersy
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fruit safe to eat at market?

i'm sorry..but is this a joke?

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fruit safe to eat at market?

Maybe I'm being a bit too reactive, but what would you think if I posted a question asking if it is safe to eat the fruit I buy at a market in Kentucky. It is sensible to wash produce you buy anywhere - but there is no need to think that St Lucia is any different.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fruit safe to eat at market?

In defense of the poster, I would like to think they want to know if they need to peel the fruit as well as wash it thoroughly before eating as you do in some countries.

London, UK
Level Contributor
196 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: fruit safe to eat at market?

Isn't one of the food rules of third world countries that you should never eat fruit that has been cut open in front of you with the vendor's knife, as it's the blade that might be 'germy' not the fruit!?

However, does the Caribbean class as 3W???? (!!!) ( can't see St Lucia classifying as such, even if some of the poorer islands might??)

If you carry some water around with you and a cloth, you can always wash and dry anything you buy from stalls. It's always good for tourists to support the local economy directly, and the fruit stalls can be really enticing.

Jay

Kentucky
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fruit safe to eat at market?

Searose- Thank you for your reply, very helpful information!! Esp. about Gablewoods..

Hecklers... I had a legitimate question- if you knew the answer to my question why not just answer it and be helpful instead of trying to make me sound ignorant?

I never said anything about St Lucia being a 3rd World country... I had read that the fruits in the markets were phenomenal and to try the bananas, mangoes, etc.... I simply wanted to know if there were any special precautions involved- sometimes you hear that our systems can't handle water in certain areas...I didn't know if insects/pesticides/etc. created any problems with eating the produce while at the market.... Might be a silly question to some- if so, why not keep it to yourself. I am assuming none of you have ever had a silly question before....

"Is this a joke?" I mean, seriously.... was that necessary?

Kentucky
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fruit safe to eat at market?

And how is it offensive to ask how thoroughly I need to wash the fruit I buy?!

I'm not putting down the country? I just wanted to know if I can purchase fruit from the market and eat it there or if I need to take it back to the resort and clean it first. ..geeez

Ontario's Near...
Level Contributor
477 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fruit safe to eat at market?

We have bought local fruit at the market and also roadside. The local fruit is like nothing you will ever get here at home. The star fruit is so good. I got a starfruit at market, the lady sprayed it with water and wiped it for me, ate it like an apple, wonderful! Bags of quava and bananas we have had from roadside vendors and a simple rinse with some water from the water bottle most people carry is all that is required. We also had watermelon already cut into pieces, yummmm.

We did the Biking in the Rainforest tour, along the way our guide collected fruit and coconut. On the trip back to the resort he cut it up and passed it around for everyone, mango, banana, coconut, papaya etc. It was the best!

Never had an ill effect from anything. Also make sure you bring home fresh nutmeg and coco sticks, so good! ENJOY!

One more thing.....if you are on a road trip south of Castries, makes sure you stop at this bakery where they make Cassava Bread, you won't regret it! It is the best ever. (Cassava is more commonly known to us as tapioca)

Kentucky
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fruit safe to eat at market?

Thank you SO MUCH! My mouth is watering thinking about the fruit and spices!

I appreciate the cassava bread tip! I probably can't eat it (allergic to wheat & gluten) HOWEVER, my BF would love it!

Ontario's Near...
Level Contributor
477 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: fruit safe to eat at market?

That's the nice thing about Cassava Bread...to my knowledge there is no wheat flour. It is made with Cassava (tapioca) Flour which is also freshly made from the root ,right there on site, then used to make the bread. We watched the making it and there was no sign of any flour other than the Cassava flour. Some bread had cherries and raisins..... Hot cooked in an open wood fired oven on banana leaves....yummmm, a meal in itself. :)

Get answers to your questions about St. Lucia