We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to travel to the caribbean with low rates

O'Fallon, MO
3 posts
Save Topic
Best time to travel to the caribbean with low rates

I am getting married in 2009 and want to have a destination wedding in the caribbean. I'm wondering what will be the best time to travel?

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to travel to the caribbean with low rates

Summer and early Fall usually are where the lowest rates are to be found.

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to travel to the caribbean with low rates

Also great rates the first two weeks of December. After Thankgiving and before Christmas rush.

As Nevera said, Summer is a cheap time but you would be trading your Missouri summer weather for tropical sunshine. Your choice. I hate to trade summers. Always nice to know that while you are sitting on the beach sipping a drink, it's snowing back home.

Congratulations, Dutch

Mentioned in this post
Missouri
Missouri
United States
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to travel to the caribbean with low rates

You asked this question in the St. Lucia forum but the title suggests that you may be thinking of other Caribbean destinations too. Obviously, there are some differences among islands and even at different properties on the same island, but in general, the most expensive times to travel are Christmas/New Years weeks. The late December to early April period is the next most expensive. Usually, rates are somewhat lower for spring (mid-April on), and at some places they drop even lower for summer and fall (until mid December in some places).

A few other considerations:

- I personally agree with Dutchor that the Caribbean holds more appeal when it is cold at home, but with a destination wedding, if you have guests from areas where winter storms are a problem, you might want to consider that in your planning.

- June - November is hurricane season.

- During the slowest part of the off-season (usually August - early October) some restaurants, etc. tend to have seasonal shutdowns

- School breaks are often a factor in how expensive and crowded travel is at particular times (and also may be a factor for some of your guests). In particular, holiday periods during the winter (MLK Day, Presidents Day, Easter) are going to be more expensive and crowded.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
75 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to travel to the caribbean with low rates

I know when we got married we did it the end of April, because we knew the rates dropped May 1st in Jamaica, so we spent a few dayswith all of our family & friends who came down for our wedding and then went to JA, If you have never seen photos of PortAntonio, JA...especially Frenchmen's Cove Beach, which would be an unreal place to have a wedding ceremony on the beach. The view is spectacular...when we were there they were shooting a swimsuit photo shoot for some magazine. The also have a restaurant there too right on the beach, but I do not have any idea how large of a wedding you are talking about.

Just thought I would mention PA, JA, because we love it so much! We went there on our honeymmon and then again for our 15 year anniversary 2 years ago!

Best of luck to you & your fiance!

I have some photos I can send you, just send me an email and I can send you them.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to travel to the caribbean with low rates

One of the cheapest times to travel is early September after Labor Day and this is true all over the world. Keep in mind that your wedding is forever. We married in September right after Labor Day (21 years ago) and we take our big vacation every year in September to celebrate our anniversary. Only once have we had a hurricane to worry about and it, but it did not ruin our vacation. We were on a cruise ship and it was very windy the one day we stopped in St Martin. The water was too rough to get in, but the waves were beautiful. When the kids were small we took vacations in the summer or Christmas break like every one else with kids.

September is a great time of the year. The temperature is not as hot as mid summer and the water is still warm along the NC coast. The best thing about September is the crowds are down every where you go.

United States
Level Contributor
112 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to travel to the caribbean with low rates

Hi,

Congratulations! Actually what you have is a trick question. Yes, the lowest prices are during September and October, then May and November, however that could also have rain or storms. As a person in the business who travels during that time on educational trip, I can honestly say that is not the best. I like going the first part of May because the resorts are not full with families, the rates are lower and you will not have the wealth of storms you get later.

It also depends upon who you are inviting. If allot have kids then go with June. You are out of the woods with major storm and you might run into some deals with kids are free with adult(s) in the room. Excellent savings for the families traveling.

The best time for weather is between January and April. You might have a little rain between 2 - 4pm for about 10 minutes but then the sun comes right out again.

I hope this helps!

Lindsay

7. Re: Best time to travel to the caribbean with low rates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 19:18