We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers cheques

England
Level Contributor
174 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travellers cheques

Is it a good option to take Sterling travellers cheques?

Are Sterling Travellers Cheques easily exchanged in St.Lucia?

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers cheques

I haven't used travellers cheques for over twenty years, so I cannot say how easy it is to exchange them in St Lucia.

I stopped using them because it was too much trouble getting them in the first place, and then when you want to cash them you have to queue up in a bank; and you finish up paying two lots of commission.

It would be a good idea to take some EC dollars (the currency of St Lucia), to pay for a taxi on arrival EC dollars can be obtained at Gatwick, or if you search back on EC $ in this forum apparently they can be ordered at Marks & Spencers.

You can also take Sterling notes, which can be exchanged in Banks in St Lucia.

I personally often take no cash, but get the taxi driver to stop at an ATM on the way to the hotel or villa etc, and then top up periodically at ATMs as necessary. UK Visa, Mastercard, and most debit cards are accepted by ATMs in St Lucia.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers cheques

Unless you really want to spend time getting to, and waiting in, a local bank, take some EC's or USD from the UK, and a credit/debit card.

It's worth having _some_ local cash in case the ATM at the airport isn't working....

all the 'big' hotels (from small villas upwards) will take cards, and the small shops will take US or EC cash.

If you're worried about carrying 'replaceable money', take a couple of cards and make sure you keep them separate - in the event you do get mugged, hand over your 'emergency' wallet with a bit of cash in... so long as you've got another card elsewhere.

Carrying loads of TC's isn't really any safer than carrying a couple of credit cards, passport, driving licence etc...

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,842 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers cheques

I have just returned from St. Lucia and found that a lot of places (and I mean a lot) would not accept US $50 or $100 - as there has been a waive of counterfeit money going thru the island....try to take $20's if you can - I also noticed a sign about large Euro notes in one place, not being accepted.

Sarah

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellers cheques

There has been a lot of previous postings in this forum about whether people from the UK should take US dollars.

The consensus, and certainly my opinion, is that for travellers from the UK it is not worth taking US dollars; take EC dollars, which are the official currency of St Lucia.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travellers cheques

Sarah et al, large notes are pretty suspect in any country.... you'd get odd looks trying to use a £50 note in the UK....

As an aside, I'd be wary about receiving a large denomination bill in change or money-change too.....

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travellers cheques

We used our ATM debit cardsat the machines when cash was needed or a credit card for large purchases.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travellers cheques

You will get a much better rate for £s - whether cash or travellers cheques - in St Lucia, than in the UK. The same goes for everywhere else in the Eastern Caribbean.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travellers cheques

I usually take US travellers cheques and change them into cash at the hotel, can't be bothered going to a bank. I also take some EC for tips etc on arrival and also US for my taxi to the hotel. I have done this for the past 9 years and it suits me to do it this way although I know other people differ.

9. Re: Travellers cheques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 20:19