We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negative view of negative reviews

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Negative view of negative reviews

As a frequent contributor and viewer of the TA forums and reviews, I just have to make a comment. It seems to me that the pattern of the most recent negative reviews for Sandals Resorts is greatly lop-sided towards those whose only contribution to TA is their negative review. Seems strange! Many say they are world (or at least frequent Caribbean) travellers. My question, If true, why have they not posted other reviews or contributed to the forums?

I just read one who said they stayed at another resort for a week before the stayed at the Sandals Grande. Their only contribution was a negative review of the Grande laced with very offensive comments about Americans. (She was British). This is not appropriate. Bad behavior!! She, and another who posted a negative review for the Halcyon, have one pin on their traveler map and one review (negative). No other contributions. This makes me suspect a troll. Maybe not.

IMHO, taking any of these seriously should be avoided. Those who have not visited SLU, or any other place, and read reviews about where they are thinking of going should take the time to click on the poster's name and see their history and profile. This is a very good source for attaching creditability to the poster's views.

Happy trails, Dutch

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Negative view of negative reviews

No pressure, no problem! (I never heard anyone but tourists say this while we were there, by the way!)

England
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Negative view of negative reviews

The thing that tickled me about the review in question is that not only was it based on insults and rash generalisation but exceedingly snobby and pretentious - if you're going to have such a pretentious attitude at least show your high-handed credentials by getting your spelling right - 'Jaloussie'? 'St Lucien'?

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Negative view of negative reviews

Who will join me to get TA to include "spell check" on these forums and reviews? I am wearing out my dictionary!!

Hapy traels, Ditch

Grand Haven...
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Negative view of negative reviews

DreamingMoBay said:

the one ill never forget (and i dont remember if it was on this board or another) was the person complaining about the fact that the numbers on the tv remote didn't work - that they had to push the up and down buttons instead!!!! can you imagine?!?

I had to chuckle a little because this is the same type of stupid thing that irritated the heck out of me when I was reading a review of a very nice hotel we'd stayed at before. The poster said that although the rest of the buffet (the hotel served a complimentary breakfast)was 'fabulous' her eggs were runny and therefore she was knocking down her entire stay at the hotel down to two stars instead of four.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,325 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Negative view of negative reviews

Great topic Dutch! One of the most negative reviews I've seen about any island was on this forum from a 1st timer who blasted the island for being too poverty stricken and then implying that a laptop and some other electronic device he packed in his check through luggage was stolen in SLU by baggage handlers prior to his trip home. SLU got the blame even though their return flight connected somewhere in Florida and the theft could very well have happened there. Not to mention, who packs a laptop in their luggage…???

When I took issue with his post he recanted, then thought about it and sent me a blazing reply tell me where to go and what to do with my defense of Iyanola. In my 2nd post to his rant I pointed out that I'd reviewed his travel profile and map and based on the lack of travel experience he should weigh his limited knowledge of islands and the Caribbean before he went totally off.

My 2 posts to him were pulled and the TA moderators sighted the fact that I should not have used the info on his profile to challenge his knowledge or the validity of his experience. Duhhhhhhh… go figure???? The whole thing left an extremely bad taste in my mouth!!

Resorts are rarely perfect, it's the nature of the beast. Still, I have over time read reviews that were soooo negative, I had to wonder why did these people travel to this destination in the 1st place and if it was as bad as stated, why didn't they cut their vacation short and either go somewhere else or go home???

Having lived in SLU, I will say the most embarrassing moments I ever had in resorts settings was things said and done by other Americans as opposed to the way the Brits and Canadians conduct themselves. Too frequently Americans want to travel somewhere that must have all the creature comforts of home. For the most part, I think the Brits and Canadians are more adventurous and need less luxury to enjoy the experience of new locales and cultures.

You also have to factor in that, IMHO experienced travelers don't generally end up at a Sandals resort. So, I'd expect the reviews from their guests to be ones that should be taken with more than a grain of salt.

Cheers Dutch!!

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,061 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Negative view of negative reviews

lucien mermaid, I find your comment quite patronising

'You also have to factor in that, IMHO experienced travelers don't generally end up at a Sandals resort. So, I'd expect the reviews from their guests to be ones that should be taken with more than a grain of salt.'

OK so it is your opinion BUT I consider myself fairly well travelled, many Eurpoean countries, 5 Caribbean islands, Mexico, America.....I have thoroughly enjoyed my three vacations at Sandals. I am getting a bit bored of the often snooty opinion and box that people are put in for choosing to vacation at sandals. My holiday, my choice, think you need to be a little more careful with such generalisations IMHO, Emma

GTB
Marion, Iowa
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Negative view of negative reviews

Thanks for this post. We are thinking about St. Lucia for my 30th birthday next year. I am way ahead, but since my b-day falls right after New Year I have to start early.

We were considering 2 of the cheaper Sandal's resorts but the reviews freaked me out. But after reading this, I did start to check the posters' history and remembered that I never had quite as bad of a time in a hotel as some people suggest.

So thanks again for posting this. I'll be back with questions soon, I'm sure :-)

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,325 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Negative view of negative reviews

Emma,

I don't know why you CHOOSE to feel patronized by my opinion???? Get a grip!!! There's no, "my way or the highway on TA", everyone is entitled to their feelings aren't they??? Your experience is yours; no one's opinion, mine or anyone else's makes it less valid!

I went to school in Bermuda and lived in St. Lucia, so the Caribbean I love is one of properties that leave, as one astute poster put it, a "lighter footprint" on the environment. So Sandals and the notion of super resorts would NEVER sit well with moi.

Bottom line, happy trails, wherever you end up on vacation!

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,061 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Negative view of negative reviews

Hi Lucianmermaid, thanks for your response, I feel I do have a grip as you put it! As you say it is everyone's choice to choose where they wish for vacation, and as you say you do not enjoy resorts such as sandals, I can totally respect that but have to say I do. It doesn't make either choice wrong in my book as the world would be a very boring place if everyone liked the same things. You have the right to feel that way but I also feel it doesn't make the opinion of myself and anyone else who vacations at sandals any less well travelled or their posts have any less 'weight' or merit than people who choose different resorts. That was my point. Again as you say happy vacations wherever you choose, Emma

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Negative view of negative reviews

Dutch, other then 'the' rude comment by the 'one' ( I do believe that one was a male) reviewer, what about the one star reviews, mostly from the Halcyon are you finding questionable?