We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food for a villa

chicago, IL
1 post
Save Topic
food for a villa

Hi everyone--

My boyfriend and I are going to Oasis Marigot in a couple weeks and will have a kitchen in our villa there. I was hoping to be able to bring some non-perisable items like cereal, oatmeal and coffee with in our suitcase. Does anyone know of any restrictions on what you can bring into St. Lucia? I've read in other posts that wine was okay, but I wasn't sure if that meant other food was okay too.

Also, does anyone know of how much a taxi costs to go from Marigot Bay to Castries for a grocery store?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food for a villa

Anyone? I'd like to know too? From what I've been able to glean from online sources, you should be able to bring most things in except frozen meats/perishable items?

Anyone?!?!?

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,453 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food for a villa

I've never tried bringing in food but the ones mentioned I don't think are a problem. Grocery store in Castries is not too far away from Marigot but I don't know the taxi fare. If you search I once posted the link to taxi rates not too long ago. Depending on what time you arrive (if you are arriving at UVF) there should be a grocery store up that end of the island, too, as there are lots of people who live there. If arriving at SLU stop and get groceries before you go to Marigot.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food for a villa

There is a small store which is part of the Discovery complex, just at the side of the road leading down to the ferry landing stage.

If you head towards Castries, there is another store on your left, after you join the main Soufriere - Castries road, as the road climbs up the hill.

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
771 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food for a villa

You can bring in any foods you wish -- as long as they are not fresh fruits, veges, meat, fish. Any products such as pastas, cereal, coffee -- fine. And cheaper than you'll find in StLucia. If there is any particular item you like -- which you know will be imported to the island -- bring it with you as it will likely cost double in SL. If you buy loca goods -- local fish, chicken, fruits, veges - -these are very reasonable. Sometimes cheaper than in the states. For instance we pay about US $4-5 for very fresh fish!

There is a small gourmet grocery store in Marina Village -- just across the bay from Oasis; a short walk and ferry ride -- which stocks almost anything you might need --- from fresh fruits,vegs to frozen lamb chops and steaks.

In Castries (and just outside if you go to Gablewoods) there are Super J's supermarkets where you can shop -- a bit cheaper than at Marigourmet. But it does cost you a taxi ride which will run between US$25-30. Check before you go as gas prices have risen there recently and some fares may have increased.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: food for a villa

Thanks! I'm staying in Soufriere, and know there is a grocery store in town, just wanted to bring some comforts from home though =). Hope this was all helpful to the OP too!

T minus 4 days until my vacation- WOOT!

Angela

6. Re: food for a villa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 04:18