We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how long can a tourist stay

Niantic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
231 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
how long can a tourist stay

With all my internet research i am getting conflicting answers so i decided to rely on the wonderful people of tripadvisor to help. How long can a tourist stay in st lucia without a work permit or a visa? I think it's 3 months but some say 6 months and one website said only 42 days...

Please help!!!!!

London UK
Level Contributor
222 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how long can a tourist stay

Hi, on looking at my passport, for the years 2004/05/06 it says "a period not exceeding 42 days" however, for last year the passport entry stamp is different and says "visitor 99 days". So looks like there was a change last year:) On the entry stamp it also says "employment prohibited".

London UK
Level Contributor
222 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how long can a tourist stay

Hi, on looking at my passport, for the years 2004/05/06 it says "a period not exceeding 42 days" however, for last year the passport entry stamp is different and says "visitor 99 days". So looks like there was a change last year:) On the entry stamp it also says "employment prohibited".

Niantic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
231 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how long can a tourist stay

So a little over three months...Here's my next question.. Could I stay in st lucia for 3 months (the allowed time limit for tourists) then leave the country for a week and come back to start over a whole new three months. Could i manipulate the system that way or would they not let me back in so quickly.

st lucia
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how long can a tourist stay

Hi,

Once you have a valid airline ticket you can come and go as you please. On arrival they will normally give you 42 days sometimes longer. What you can also do is go to the main imigration office in Castries and for a small fee you can keep extending your stay.

Hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Castries
Castries
St. Lucia
Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how long can a tourist stay

Benaroundtheworld,

Need a butler? Driver? Action hero sidekick?

Dutch

London UK
Level Contributor
222 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how long can a tourist stay

or a Nanny? lol. Glad you got your answer:) Just being nosey lol but what are you planning to do? I'm visiting next month and could end up staying longer too as not looking forward to the flight home after a horrible one last year:(

Niantic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
231 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how long can a tourist stay

Yes indeed Dutchor, i reckon i might need a chill coach, considering i won't be in resort chill mode..

Evie- my plans are to move to st lucia and volunteer at a local school for children with developmental delays. I am an occupational therapist and there is a huge demand in st lucia for just that. I plan to give up my job in America and live off of my savings for however long that will last. So i am looking for very cheap accomodations. What a life changing experience!!!I am still young and have no responsiblities so i thought, do it now, and then I will have no regrets later in life when i wake up with a husband and three kids with a morgage payment.

In my line of work (healthcare) I have job security, so if I leave this job I won't have any problem finding a new one when I get home.

Still in planning research mode, so hopefully my move will take place this fall. But I plan to visit a couple times more to make sure i can cope with real island life not resort life on an island.

Which i am pretty confident i can..Riding local busses and eating locally grown food to cut down on cost and such is not a problem for me. I am looking for a lifestyle change..Good luck to me!!!!!!

London UK
Level Contributor
222 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how long can a tourist stay

Wow what a great and worthy thing to do. Your right to go for it now as you have no ties. I have a niece living there with her husband and baby but, as I am older (45) I cant really say just popping over to SL for a year see you soon lol cos of responsibilities etc here. I understand what you mean about living real island life:) My niece copes by coming back here 2/3 times a year and family going over there. Perhaps you could actually lodge with a family there which would be cheaper. Well I wish you all the best and hope everything works out for you:)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how long can a tourist stay

Benaroundtheworld

What a WONDERFUL idea, I have a St Lucian friend who has a daughter with Down Syndrome who attends the Dunnottar school.

I really hope that all goes well with your plans and that it works out for you.

Too be honest your thread of 'length of stay' ect is of great interest to me as I have been recenty thinking of staying for longer than our 4 usual weeks, but like you not in a hotel. We have only been home for just over a week but wish we were back with our St Lucian friends again.

Topsail Island...
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how long can a tourist stay

Benaroundtheworld: I can put you in touch with a couple who rents out a room in their home in Soufriere if you are interested in that area. He is a retired US Army male nurse and she is beauty shop operator. His medical background may be helpful to your mission. Both are St. Lucian born, and wonderful people. Their home is very nice and within walking distance to the local bus stop or anything else in Soufriere. You may send me a personal message, and I will send you more information if you like.

Mentioned in this post
Soufriere
Soufriere
St. Lucia