We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do meal plans work?

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
527 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
How do meal plans work?

Is it all you can eat off the menus? ie. I can order all the lobsters I can eat? And all the alcohol I can drink in one sitting?

Are there set times that you can only eat? Set times when you can drink?

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do meal plans work?

It depends on what resort you are asking about. At Sandals, for example, you order of the menu, if you are still hungry, you can order more or go to another restaurant. As far as times, most restaurants are open all day, while some change their format depending on the time(ie: one may be a buffett at lunch time and a menu restaurant for dinner). The bars open at 10 AM and close around midnight+, you can drink as much as you want.

If you are talking about a different resort, let us know which one and I'm sure someone can help you.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
527 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do meal plans work?

Thanks for the reply. Specifically... Stonefield, Ladera and Jade Mountain.

Level Contributor
361 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do meal plans work?

It depends on the plan you took. Basic plans:

BP - breakfast

MAP - br + dinner

FAP - br + lunch +snacks+ dinner

The above do not include any beverages except for regular tea and coffee. Juices at breakfast.

AI- includes all the meals (like FAP) AND most of beverages.

You most likely will have to pay surcharge for lobster (about 30 US and up). Some resorts apply surcharges on certain dishes in what they consider fine dining restaurants (ie. Plantation in Jalousie). It will be mostly at dinner for items like NZ lamb, prime beef, etc.

AI will not cover wines or liquors by the bottle, top shelf liquors (cognac, malt whiskey, aged stuff), mini bars in the rooms and some expensive wines by the glass (house brands are ok).

Apart from that you can have your drinks anytime anywhere and as many as you like.

Now, every resort has a detailed policy on meal plans, so what works in Ladera might not be a rule in JM, the above are the general rules.

You might be asked to sign the bills after your meal or in the bar - no need to panic - the purpose is to account for items not included in your plan. Even if the bill lists all the items you had, the ones included in your plan will be deducted at the end of the day. Keep the receipts until check out though, discrepancies happen. The resorts do that also as accounting needs to determine revenues and food&beverage costs.

Some resorts are flexible and if let's say you have MAP, but decided to have dinner in town, you can notify to the manager and have lunch in lieu of your prepaid dinner. You also mentioned having a rental car which means you will be going around the island - you may want to keep some days "meal plan free". As a rule of thumb you need to purchase plan for three days during your stay, but some resorts might be easy on that one.

Overall meal plans are not very restrictive but if you have questions about specific items (like lobster) I would email the reservations to avoid unpleasant surprises. In expensive resorts meal plans are a good deal in my opinion.

Happy munching and indulging.

4. Re: How do meal plans work?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 15:19