We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IHelp please - Insect repellent...

Nottingham UK
Level Contributor
113 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
IHelp please - Insect repellent...

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a strong insect repellent?

I am such a target and don't want to buy a rubbish one.

If anyone could recommend one that is suitable for children (under 2) then that would also be great...

thanks in advance

Vieux Fort, St...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: IHelp please - Insect repellent...

Best one I know is Johnson and Johnson's Woodland Off (the green one).

There are lots sold here, the main thing you need is citronella base, but the Off is good.

London UK
Level Contributor
222 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IHelp please - Insect repellent...

Hi, we use Superdrug Buzz Off extra strength but any tropical strength or extra strength will do. Not sure of using it on kids so ask the chemist what one you can use. We are also targeted as well so, we also use a mozzie plugin and suncream with repellant in it as well. Have posted a bit on this subject so have a look under my posts, good advice from others as well.When/whereabouts you going?

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IHelp please - Insect repellent...

We always use OFF. I am not sure whether you can get it in the UK. We always travel light, and never bother to take mosquito repellant with us; but as soon as we arrive in St Lucia we stop at a supermarket and buy essentials such as OFF.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
527 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: IHelp please - Insect repellent...

Are you allowed this kind of stuff in checked luggage? Would there be any hassle from security from bringing your own bug repellent?

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
170 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IHelp please - Insect repellent...

I can't think of any reason you can't put it in CHECKED luggage. Be sure to put it in a baggie in case it leaks.

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
130 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: IHelp please - Insect repellent...

Autan make a family lotion which is suitable for children - they do an up to 2 version which I think is called family junior and one which is suitable for 2+. I also find Dr Johnson's Mosquito repellant works well for me - this has citronella,lavender etc in to, is a lovely gel formula and is cooling if you put on after you shower before dinner. You can get this in places like Superdrug/Savers. I also take the Autan sticks which are easy to control application and cover every where! I tend to combine layering the natural repellants with the more traditional things and it seems to do the trick.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: IHelp please - Insect repellent...

Autan for me too plus Clarityn Anti Histamine pills. The roll on repellant is really good for ankles during the day is it stops sandfly bites which are very itchy and annoying!

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
194 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: IHelp please - Insect repellent...

Here are some reviews on insect repellents:

www.consumersearch.com/insect-repellent

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
958 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: IHelp please - Insect repellent...

I'm a target for mosquitoes, too, and I am allergic to DEET (makes me itch worse than getting bitten). But I've found that products with picaridin in them (such as OFF Family Care Insect Repellant II Clean Feel - wouldn't it be great if the gave it a shorter name!) work for me - and they do not smell.

I've been to St Lucia twice now in August - stayed at the Windjammer - and actually didn't need mosquito repellantat all. I don't know if Windjammer sprays enough, or if the ocean breeze was enough to discourage the bugs - or if I drank enough alcohol to keep them away! (I wonder if anyone has done a study on the effectiveness of booze as a mosquito repellant - might not work, but it could be fun trying!)

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: IHelp please - Insect repellent...

Sounds like much needed research to me, I will let you know how I get on.

Windjammer sprays the plants around 3x a week but a lot depends on how much rain there has been and therefore how many stagnant puddles around which the mossies love.

"Off" is very good too and there is a sunscreen version you can wear during the day.

Happy travels!