We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
394 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Diving

Can any diving people out there give me any insight on the diving quality at St. Lucia?? Where to go? Where to stay?

Much Appreciated

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
394 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving

Anyone!!

Windsor, New York
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving

The diving is great, healthy reef's, lot's of fish.

The best diving is on the west coast from Anse Cochon

to the Piton's farther south. The wreck of the "Lesleen M" is in front of TyKaye resort @ Anse Cochon. You can stay anywhere on the west coast, as all the dive operator's will pick you up by boat. Rodney bay in the north is a more lively area to stay. Marigot bay, TyKaye, Anse Chastanet,Jalousie mid island are super laid back, beautiful place's to stay.(closer to dive site's)

3. Re: Diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2008, 13:06
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving

As mentioned, most of the good dive sites are in the south or middle of the island. You can stay wherever you want; all the dive boats will go to the same places. Of course if you stay closer to the south, you save an hour in the boat.

UK
Level Contributor
618 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving

We stayed at Jalousie - which also has awesome snorkelling straight off the beach, but our main reason for staying here was that the resort offers free diving once each day. We were there 5 days and had 5 free dives each. There are also additional dives that you can pay for.

The best dive sites are all from mid island to the South and were utterly spectacular. The Lesleen wreck was in relatively shallow 18m - but housed the most fantastic marine life in crystal clear water. Most of the dives I would say were relatively easy and relaxed and within spitting distance of the hotel. Hope this helps.

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving

Are cameras provided by any of the diving locations? Or did any of you have your own underwater digital camera?

My fiance is somewhat of a camera nut and I'd love to buy him one as a wedding gift but having a hard time finding them.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diving

Many dive shops rent cameras. Some dive shops are Scuba Steve's, Dive Fair Helen and Eastern Caribbean Divers -- check their websites. To purchase, check the website scubadiving.com -- they have reviews of gear including cameras.

However, underwater photography is different than topside photography in lots of ways. There are particles in the water which interfere (they're way more noticeable in photos than in "real life" and colours disappear at depth, making everything look blue. A strobe is usually recommended. Finally, there's a lot of care involved -- making sure the housing doesn't flood. If he hasn't done any underwater photography, instead of a camera, you could buy him an underwater photography course, offered by most dive shops. Just a thought.

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Diving

Thank you for the ideas Crystal! I was hoping that the diving in St. Lucia would be shallow enough not to need one of those fancy cameras with the "eyeball" type flash (the kind that is attached like an antenae to the camera lol). But if he goes anywhere else to dive that might not be the case.

Does anyone know if the Sandals dive shops rent the cameras?

Can those photography courses be taken online? He doesn't have much free time (especially between now and the wedding)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Diving

Actually, the photography course is a lot of practical stuff. I don't think you can do it online. If you're staying at Sandals, they would offer the course if you contacted them in advance (there's often a DVD and book). You might be able to buy the course materials at a dive shop at home, or online. One place to try is Divers Supply in Marietta, GA -- they have everything and they ship.

Sandals has a staff photographer who dives and takes photos for sale, but they don't rent cameras.

The other option would be to go to a local camera store or dive shop for suggestions -- you could buy a housing for a camera he already has.

As for the colour, some St Lucia dives are shallow so you don't need a big strobe. Others are deep walls. One entry-level camera (with attached flash, not at all big or bulky) that I have seen take very nice photos is the Sealife one. If you're interested, I'll try to get contact info.

Waukesha, WI
Level Contributor
121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Diving

Diver,

Underwater photography is a lot of fun and does not have to be real expensive. Here is a copy of a Video I did from our trip to Sandals Grande Antigua in January.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i86Bxyl7dFs Watch in High Quality

I have a Scuba section on the video. All of those photos and video were done with the following.

Canon A720IS Camera, about $160

Canon Waterproof Case WP-DC16 about $140

So for about $300 you have a great camera that can do photo and video under water up to 130 feet deep. This camera has an underwater mode that helps balance the blues and the reds, the camera has an internal flash and the case has a diffuser to prevent the white spots on most regular internal flashes due to the particles in the water.

On Land this is also a great camera, it has image stabilization so you don’t have to worry about camera shake too much. With a 16gb SDHC card you can shoot over two hours of video, or over a thousand photos.

Trust me as a diver he would LOVE it. I have an external strobe light, but really do not use it unless it is at night or real deep and in dark areas like wrecks and caves.

Hope this helps

John