We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thimble jellyfish or other?

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
7 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
thimble jellyfish or other?

Hi my husband and I are going to St. Lucia leaving January 31st and come back March 8th with being one week in Dominica.

I heard of those thimble jellyfish... are there any complications during that time we are there and/or are there any other jellyfish we should have a look-out (or a run) for??

I heard the numbers are increasing so was curious about how it would be there... any info is appreciated.

Thanks a lot :))

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thimble jellyfish or other?

While we were in St Lucia in Feb/March last year staying at Almond Morgan Bay there were a lot of people stung by a jellyfish 'bee' type sting. My sister and also someone else who was in the water at the same time got badly stung by portuguese-man-o-war, she still has the scars and tingling feeling still nearly 2 years later.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
527 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thimble jellyfish or other?

We were snorkeling at Anse Chastanet beach last week. To the left of the beach, near the scuba centre, there were thousands of tiny jellyfish. I was scared at first as the occasional one felt like a sharp small bug bite but they really were harmless. Just don't go plowing through the thick herds of them if you can avoid it.

Everywhere else at Anse was fine. And so was Jalousie Beach when we went.

One of the locals told us that if you see foam near the shores, avoid swimming there as the bigger jellyfish were likely around around too.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
7 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thimble jellyfish or other?

Thanks for the good info, we will keep our eyes open and have a look out for those 'stingers'... as nice they look I hope not to see too many of them. I will also ask around to see if there were any incidences. Thanks again :)

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,398 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: thimble jellyfish or other?

The small cigar-shaped jellyfish are quite common at Anse Cochon and seem to be more in the summer months. Their sting is like a stinging nettle, fine if it is just the one but not nice if you go through a shoal. It is a good idea to wear a t-shirt when swimming as it keeps the sun from burning your back and does give some protection from the jellyfish. When their are shoals in resorts usually put up a warning notice.

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,280 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: thimble jellyfish or other?

If not already, you might want to look into the trade marked product "Safe Sea" it is a topical barrier cream for jellyfish stings and their larvae.

Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: thimble jellyfish or other?

As far as I know thimble jellies are more active in the spring, it is their larvae which causes all the trouble as they get under the swimsuit and cause rash to sensitive skin.

During winter months Caribbean is experiencing more rough weather- therefore the presence of the jellyfish. They are being washed into coastal areas by strong winter currents and swells coming from the deep sea. Once they get to the shore - it's hard for them to get out as they are not very strong swimmers, plus it's warmer there than in the open ocean and they like warm water.

There are dozens of species of jellyfish and fortunately - not all of them sting. The helpful hint - the long tentacles - stinger, colorful jelly (pinkish, bluish, purple) - stinger.

The most common jellies you will see are moon jellies - harmless unless you have hypersensitive skin (they have a flower on the dome) and comb jellies (they have sort of wings and sometimes black spots) which are not true jellies but ctenophores.

Here are some pictures of the above:

n-the-florida-keys.com/images/moon-jellys-fl…

http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&q=comb+jelly&btnG=Search+Images

If you can get your hands on "Reef Creature ID" by Ned Deloach and Paul Humann - have a look at the pictures there as well as the description on how particular species affect humans.

If you get stung - do not use fresh water on the area as it activates more stinging cells to burst. Apply lots of vinegar first to neutralize them (peeing, alcohol and other stories are not scientifically proved to work), you can shave the area if there are visible tentacles attached to your skin. Then you can apply antihistamine cream. Hopefully won't happen!

Indiana
Level Contributor
220 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: thimble jellyfish or other?

We were in Cancun in July and my sons got into the thimble jelly fish larvae and it made the rest of the trip miserable. It took my oldest son 3 weeks to get rid of the rash. We leave December 31 I hope we don't run into this again!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Re: thimble jellyfish or other?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 09:19