We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

internet access in Soufriere, beach access etc etc

New York, NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
internet access in Soufriere, beach access etc etc

Hi, my husband and I are renting a house with friends near anse chastenet. Because we're doing kind of an independent travel option rather than resort I have a bunch of questions and could use some advice.

Could anyone recommend an internet cafe or is there any wireless access spot near soufrieres? I'm pretty sure my husband will bring his laptop. Are there any areas of soufrieres we should avoid? I think from the house it is about a 10' walk down a hill to anse chastenet resort, down anse chastenet road. I don't have alot of location info beyond that...

Is it hard to get access to AC beach if you're not staying at the resort? I read one traveller in this forum who said he was harassed by guards at the resort trying to get to the beach. Are there any recommended beaches that are easier to access than others? We prefer natural beauty & quiet rather than lots of excitement like beachside bars...but we're up for exploring different places.

Also, any advice on renting a SUV versus hiring a driver? the owner of the house has a driver she recommends, --what kind of rate should we expect to hire a driver for a day or for a full week? We were going to kind of feel out the roads on the trip from Hewanorra to the house & decide which was better for us.

Has anyone done mountain biking trips with Bike St. Lucia? Is it very advanced? The terrain looks pretty rugged and we're a bit rusty. Lastly, is it hard to get to the Jade resort, can non-guests use the spa there and is it worth visiting?

Much thanks for any and all help!

Castries, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
377 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: internet access in Soufriere, beach access etc etc

Well all beaches in Saint Lucia supposed to be public, so you should be able to get to them. If not through the resort, there should be an access path to the side.

As far as renting a car vs hiring a driver, it depends on how much you will be using it. If you will be driving a lot and going all over the island, then rent a car as it will be cheaper and easier. If it is just for a few trips around the area, then it would be better to just hire a taxi.

Taxi rates are by distance, so it would depend on where you wanted to go. The roads are winding and hilly and driving is on the left side. It will take a little time to get used to, but I see you are from NYC, so like Chicago, if you can drive there, you can drive anywhere.

You can mountain bike through the same company that has the zipline course in Dennery. I haven't done it, but it is something you might want to look into.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: internet access in Soufriere, beach access etc etc

Thanks for the reply Let-la and for the tip on the zipline company. I am kind of nervous about driving in St Lucia, despite being from NYC. We went by car through some mountain roads in Peru, you couldn't see the bottom of the dropoffs and they were these windy narrow roads washed away on the sides, with about a foot of mud. We'd come around a hairpin curve and there would be a bus or logging truck, and we'd have to reverse and somehow give way. I was convinced we were going off the side, I was just white knuckes--and I was really really happy to have a driver who had done this a hundred times before because I just had to shut my eyes & focus on taking deep breaths. That man was a heck of a driver. Maybe St Lucia will be easy after that? I'm not totally sure how much running around we'll do, I think at this point it depends on how we feel when we get there. We might wind up needing a car to get to the beach from the house. I think the fish fry at Anse La Ray looks great, and we do want to do some hiking & snorkeling, among other things.

One more question--I see you are from Castries. We normally like to wander around by foot and soak up local culture. Do you know of any companies or guides that have good cultural walking tours of Soufriere, or is it better to just wander around? (I know that's kind of a subjective question, just curious if you have any thoughts on this one). Thanks again for your help!

Castries, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
377 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: internet access in Soufriere, beach access etc etc

Well as far as the driving goes, it doesn't sound as bad as your description of Peru. There aren't really any cliffs, but there are drainage gutters pretty close to the sides of the road, so if you aren't used to the different alignment on the left side, you might have a couple close calls. If you really aren't comfortable, then definitely just do taxi as a timid driver might get himself into more trouble!

I know on this forum there have been mention of many tour companies that people have really liked, but I am not sure about a tour of Soufriere specifically. Try searching this forum for tour companies, or check back a few pages. You might find some info like a website or email address you can use to inquire further. If not, just post a new topic and I'm someone in the know will respond.

Also, I'm from Dennery, but I guess it is too small to be included on TA! Haha so Castries was the closest I could get.

Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: internet access in Soufriere, beach access etc etc

There is an internet cafe in Soufriere ( I forgot the name).It is located on the main street in the large yellow building right next to the square.

I have done biking in Soufriere. There are various levels of trails, so don't worry about your rusty skills, you can bike on the easy trails. You can use the spa at Anse Chastanet, it's on the beach. I remember that in 2007 Jade facilities were not open to the public, you could however ask front desk people to show you around.

You don't need a driver in St Lucia especially if you are comfortable with hilly terrain, driver would cost you at least 200 US per day, rental car will be 75 or so.

You don't need a guide in Soufriere neither - it's a small town and you can easily get around. Just be prepared for a lot of people trying to show you the way or guide you and then asking for money.

5. Re: internet access in Soufriere, beach access etc etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 21:20