We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice Shallow Dives

Missouri
Level Contributor
392 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nice Shallow Dives

I am trying to find out where my boyfriend and I could dive that is less than 20ft deep. His doctor said he can't dive deeper than 20ft due to heart defect. Thanks for any help!

Axminster, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice Shallow Dives

The shallow diving around Anse Cochon (Ti Kaye) is good, however.............finding a Dive organisation to take you given your boyfriends condition might be a big problem.

Missouri
Level Contributor
392 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice Shallow Dives

That's one of my worries. If the doctor will put his recommendations in writing, it may help. We'll see I guess.

Thanks for the info!

Axminster, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice Shallow Dives

Just checked my dive log for 10 Nov. "Excellent last dive of holiday, dive to 41 ft, much small reef life plus several barracuda, octopus, dozens of lobsters, green & spotted morays plus small nurse shark asleep under coral mound"

Your boyfriends 20ft restriction will be a big problem if you are diving at a resort, a private organisation might be better.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice Shallow Dives

Just wondering -- how did he manage to get certified? A dive that only goes to 20 ft is very rare, but not unheard of. The problem might be that one can easily go deeper without realizing if not obsessively checking the depth gauge. If this is just for a resort dive, the above post is right, they may not want to take the chance. Just because a Dr. says it's ok doesn't mean the dive op. has to let him dive.

I personally prefer shallower dives as the light is better but maintaining buoyancy at 20 ft is not necessarily easy unless you've had practice.

BC
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice Shallow Dives

As agreed by previous posters, you will want a small. private dive shop that will cater to your personal needs. Suggest Action Adventure Divers at the Hummingbird Resort in Soufriere.

aadivers@candw.lc

The Hummingbird Wall, Piton Wall, Pinnacles and Turtle reef are all available to shallow divers. I have done several night dives with Chester and we have stayed at 15- 20 ft. on many of them.

Missouri
Level Contributor
392 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice Shallow Dives

Hi Crystal,

I just sent you a PM.

We aren't certified, but want to get certified on our vacation to dive only while there. Hopefully we can work it out, but if not, we'll just snorkel a bunch.

Thanks!

Missouri
Level Contributor
392 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice Shallow Dives

Thank you, NewComer. I'll have to check that out. Sounds like a nice dive.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice Shallow Dives

I think you will have a hard time getting him certified as there are minimum depth you must dive to to get certified.

Sounds like snorkeling is your best bet.

Mike in Tulsa

Level Contributor
1,493 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice Shallow Dives

For me the whole point of scuba diving is to get down to where the fish are. 20 foot deep scuba might be little better than snorkeling.

I know we went deeper when we were at Ti Kaye, but I think the first part of the reef we went to was about 20-25 feet deep.

I know it's a cheap substitute for scuba, but does anyone know if there are any snuba operators on St. Lucia?

I thought snuba might be the answer as you're limited by the length of the hose to only 15-20 feet. When I checked www.yahoo.com for St. Lucia snuba there were no hits.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice Shallow Dives

Like others have said, you are better going with a private dive shop. If you went with a group the Dive Master may not be with you at all times since the majority of the group will be going deeper. And since you are not certified as of yet, you will need close supervision should something go wrong.