We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place to buy liquor and how much?

new brunswick
13 posts
Save Topic
best place to buy liquor and how much?

We've gone down south before and always plan to bring home liquor of course, but sometimes after waiting until the last minute and then we got at the airport and the liquor store was closed :( so off we go home with no liquor. where is the best place to buy our liquor,duty free, and does it cost much extra duty if you buy a couple of extra bottles?

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: best place to buy liquor and how much?

Not sure if this will help, but just as a reference I bought one bottle of Chairmans Reserve Rum at Sandals Grand for $18 US dollars. Bought the same exact bottle of rum at the Anse Le Fish fry for US $10.

Saw the same bottle at the St. Lucia airport Duty Free shop for $18 US dollars.

I have been looking for Bounty Rom and Chairman Reserve Rum in the state for the past week, can not find it anywhere.

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
771 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place to buy liquor and how much?

I don't believe Lucian rum is exported. One of the least expensive places to buy Lucian rum is at the local Super Js supermarket -- or the Mega J's (like a Sams Club or Costco) - or at the distillery. Mega Js is where I buy it -- 3 bottles for EC$68.00 - or about US $28 -- and that's for three!! Also if you buy it at a local store you can pack it carefully yourself in your checked luggage. If you buy it at duty free when leaving -- and you make a connection enroute-- you have to hurriedly pack it in your checked bag. A friend of mine did that recently and had rum soaked clothes when he got home!!

Castries, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
377 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: best place to buy liquor and how much?

Like they say, duty free doesn't mean profit free.

new brunswick
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best place to buy liquor and how much?

thanks for the info. if you buy more than your 2 bottles that are allowed or duty free, is it very expensive for duty for the extra bottles you buy? just wondering if it would be worth our while to pick up a few extra ones there? rather than running out when we get home and buying them at our local liquor store?

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
771 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best place to buy liquor and how much?

am not sure of Canada's laws as to bringing liquor into the country -- in the US, a person can bring in two bottles duty free.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best place to buy liquor and how much?

Palmtree,

Canadian law says that you are allowed to bring back 1 40 oz per person I think. We've got away with bring back 3 26oz bottles as the total volume is still there. As for overages, if you buy something that isn't sold in Canada, customs has to basically go by what it might be worth here. If you can convince them that it might be worth $20 a bottle here, your duty won't be that bad.

Toronto
Level Contributor
556 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best place to buy liquor and how much?

I might have brought back an extra bottle in my checked luggage every now and then... You are allowed 1.14L bottle each. Strange thing is I have not seen a 1.14L size bottle in a duty free store outside Canada.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
194 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best place to buy liquor and how much?

As a previous write noted, Super J's supermarket is a cheap place to get local liquor. Take a chance and stray from the regular rum and get something you might not find in your country.

We brought back a bottle of a cashew liquor drink made with rum, cashews, milk & cinnamon mixture which was quite nice. Also have a bottle of golden apple wine which we haven't tried yet but will try soon since we love the taste of the golden apples while in St. Lucia.

Edgar

9. Re: best place to buy liquor and how much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 06:22