We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency and drink prices rodney Bay area

DM5
Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
currency and drink prices rodney Bay area

Hi all

Visiting Rodney bay in April and just wondering what is the best currency to take would it be US$ or EC$?

Also in Rodney bay what price is a bottle of beer on average in the bars as well as the price of an average meal..Pizza,chicken,fish,steaks,etc.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

ny
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: currency and drink prices rodney Bay area

You can get EC in St.Lucia , don't bother bringing US. A beer cost about $2.50 or $3.00 EC.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,426 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currency and drink prices rodney Bay area

Bring your ATM card and get EC$ from the machine in Rodney Bay. This discussion has been said a million times - don't convert pounds into $$ wait until you get to the island.

Castries, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
377 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: currency and drink prices rodney Bay area

In Rodney Bay, a beer is actually double that. $5 or $6 EC for a Piton or Heineken.

Domino's pizza is about $40 EC for a large pizza with a couple toppings. $11 for cheesy bread. They also have some combo and family meals that give you a little discount.

Pizza Pizza is about the same, maybe a little bit cheaper.

BK/KFC are about $15-$18 EC for a combo meal. Subway is about $20-$22 for a foot long.

After that, you can go from a little more expensive to much, much more expensive.

Morecambe, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
380 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currency and drink prices rodney Bay area

If you are from the UK and have a nationwide account you can draw from the ATM without any charge we have an account with them just for this reason. We save for holidays in the account and then use the card whilst we are away we have used it all over the world.

We were paying 5 or 6 EC$ each for a beer (small)

If you go to the micro brewery , planter you can get a pitcher 3 and a quarter pints of brewed beer for 29 $ EC.

Eating out really takes a lot of cash and we ate out 3 times in rodney bay itself. Memories of hongkong. approx $150 US for two of us. Big chef 165 US$ for two no wine the selection was really bad and cheap bottles that you would buy in the uK for £3.99 they wanted silly money for, a beer each, starter and main no sweets or coffee.I have to say the steak was excellent though.

I paid 241 US$ at spinnakers for 4 of us no sweets or coffees i did have the lobster though.

We did not go to pizza places or kFC to be frank if I had to I would stay at home. we were surprised at the price you could drink as opposed to the price that you can eat. we were all inclusive at the Rex and ate out for some variety

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: currency and drink prices rodney Bay area

Definately take sterling and ECs and your ATM card. Avoid US dollars.

6 EC for a Piton is what I have been paying. A dinner for two with a bottle of wine at the Memories of Hong Kong chinese restaurant cost me 300 EC this week. The wine accounted for 60 EC of the total amount. I paid 90 EC for a light lunch for two plus several Pitons at Delirius

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: currency and drink prices rodney Bay area

Jaxw

Are you mixing up US and EC dollars with your prices ?

Morecambe, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
380 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: currency and drink prices rodney Bay area

EC for the drinks and US for the food we have just got back a week ago. all the food I have quoted is in US it is expensive first time in a long time that we have come back from anywher and thought God isn't it cheap in the UK

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: currency and drink prices rodney Bay area

I agree with SunLoverFrance are you sure you have your currency right I've eaten at Memories of Hong Kong with 3 other people and the table was littered with Piton's and mixed drinks and it did not cost what is being said here. Sounds right if you are quoting EC but not US.

Mike in Tulsa

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: currency and drink prices rodney Bay area

Mike

"and the table was littered with Piton's"

I hope they were all empty!

kitchener,ontario
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: currency and drink prices rodney Bay area

hello

We are coming in three weeks and we were only bringing US. I did not want to take a chance and the ATM not work with my canadian bank card!

kim

Get answers to your questions about St. Lucia